Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to get real information about Sugar Gliders without the Sugar Coating.

HomeVisit our website!GallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inJoin us in Chat!

suggie foods

Go down 
+4
JazzNZoeysmom
khigh
mhall10
clk666
8 posters
AuthorMessage
clk666
Face Hugger
Face Hugger
clk666

suggie foods Empty
PostSubject: suggie foods   suggie foods EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 1:25 pm

okay! just figured i woudl ask what everyone feeds?
reccomended diet or not, let me hear it ..

what do you feed your suggies?

Why do you feed it ?

where did you hear about it ?

do they like it, not care for it ?

what do you hope to accomplish with this diet or was it cheap and accessable?

no bashing of diets, only information and debate please!
Back to top Go down
mhall10
Face Hugger
Face Hugger
mhall10

suggie foods Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggie foods   suggie foods EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 1:33 pm

well why dont you share what you feed your gliders Very Happy
Back to top Go down
clk666
Face Hugger
Face Hugger
clk666

suggie foods Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggie foods   suggie foods EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 1:45 pm

LOL i feed LGRS suggie soup,

3 fruits and 3 veggies plus some yogurt eggs and or chicken.

i feed it because i know they need a proper balanced diet

i herd about it from shadow actually lol

they LOVE it

I hope to accomplish a well balanced happy and healthy glider colony. And i hope to accomplish healthy rescues

PLUS i really want to introduce it into canadian glider culture because pellets and cat food are definately not a diet that should be fed to such a delicate little pet.
Back to top Go down
khigh
Admin
Admin
khigh

suggie foods Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggie foods   suggie foods EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 7:29 pm

I feed my own diet, which you can find out about in the sticky at the top- Kelly's Raw Diet.

I feed it because to me, it is the most natural source of food I can use for them without them going into the wild to search for themselves. It is neither cheap, nor easy!
Back to top Go down
JazzNZoeysmom
Glider
Glider
JazzNZoeysmom

suggie foods Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggie foods   suggie foods EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 9:15 pm

I guess if I have to put a name on it, I suppose the closest diet I feed is the Ensure Diet.

I was totally unaware an Ensure diet existed until very recently....like a few days ago. But mine will not eat the majority of the "recognized" diets. When I would give them their "off" night foods, which became more and more frequent since they wouldn't eat anything else, I would give them a little Ensure in a crock and they would lick the dish clean. This made me happy since it kind of "filled in the holes" nutritionally.

After much discussion with a lot of glider owners who have had gliders MUCH longer than I have, I am confident that if I give them a healthy, well balanced diet that they will be alright.

I give them protein every night in the form of chicken, turkey, egg, shrimp, a few mealies, moths, mosquito eaters when available. They also get a wide variety of fruits and veggies...some yogurt a few nights a week and some Ensure a few nights a week. And to be honest, they eat more of their dinner now than they ever did on any other diet.
Back to top Go down
kjgoulet
Joey
Joey
kjgoulet

suggie foods Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggie foods   suggie foods EmptyTue May 01, 2012 12:29 am

I feed HPW Plus with 1 cup Odwalla Superfood added to each batch. Once in a while I'll feed HPW Complete when I run out and don't realize til I'm preparing their dinner lol!

I feed it because my first gliders were on HPW Original and when Plus came out I wanted to try it. I started adding the Odwalla because Romeo and Sammie's breeder had mentioned it to me since the Naked Green Machine has garlic in it. Everybody is fuzzier, softer, more active, and all around this diet is amazing for us! Everybody is a healthy weight except for the colony which their huge cage should be making them lost not gain lol!

I heard about the Plus when I became friends with a vendor not too far from me. At the time she was also a breeder. It was also all over the forums and so since my friend was vending I figured I'd give it a shot.

They love it! Colony clears their plate every night, pairs if they don't finish their fruits or veggies they definately lick up the last of the HPW lol! There's somethings that they'll leave on the plate but everybody eats the blended stuff. Other than my new little guy Kota who's on night #2 of a non pellet diet.

I keep them on it because they haven't shown me any reason to change. Everybody is healthy, I even have a glider with triplets IP! Which fingers crossed becomes triplets OOP in a month or more.

I will add the extra treat of boiled chicken, hard boiled egg, or insects on their plate once in a while.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tenderlovingsuggies.webs.com
viciousencounters
viciousencounters

suggie foods Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggie foods   suggie foods EmptyTue May 01, 2012 4:56 pm

I feed diets seasonally for variety. For the past 2 years during the summer season I go off of the "recognized" diets and feed a variation of LGRS. I also feed LGRS and VGV. I always reduce the honey in LGRS by 1/2-1 cup.

The girls regularly get flowers, gums, saps, honey, chicken, turkey, and egg. And of course all of this is always alongside vegetables but not always fruit since most diets are sweet enough that I feel they do not need as much fruits. My next mission is to fit more feeder insects into their diet.

When I heard about LGRS is was really new and it was very unpopular because it used insects as a source of protein and focused on a balanced ratio of Calcium. It was also unpopular because it challenged all the flaws in the Original HPW. I really liked the idea of it but having to buy all the special ingredients in bulk before knowing if my gliders would like it put me off, eventually I fed it and then realized how many people are cut off from the opportunity to feed it and that is how I began selling LGRS Sample packs. I have made this diet really accessible, only western states have Trader Joe's so people in the East could not get the soy, most do not want to store bulk fly pupa, since the sizes are portioned no more bulk goes to waste, and since the powders come measured it makes making the diet faster.

With LGRS Suggie Soup I have big aspirations, I hope that I open the doors for all glider owners to feed it. Clk666, is actually a mark of my goals. This year she worked with me to get LGRS out of the United States and now I can proudly say I have helped the LGRS Diet become international :]. This is probably not what you meant when you asked that question but you know I have lots to say. It brings me great joy to know I am helping others feed a balanced diet that is time tested, bringing attention to the sugar glider rescue; Lucky Glider Rescue and Sanctuary, and combating bad diets by trying to market LGRS next to pellets.

I hope that was a mouth full!

Peace suggie foods 2171064837
Back to top Go down
http://www.viciousencounters.etsy.com
lovekelc
Super Glider
Super Glider
lovekelc

suggie foods Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggie foods   suggie foods EmptyFri May 04, 2012 1:12 am

I feed HPW Original, and ever since I got the diet my gliders LOVED it.. both of them. It is the first thing they eat before the fruits and veggies. It is pretty easy to make, you make it once every few months and it comes out like a smoothie. Just keep it in the freezer and scoop the amount needed depending on how many gliders you have. I LOVE this diet and so do my gliders. I usually change up the fruits and veggies every night so they can have a variety. I go by this website that shows the safe veggies and fruits for a sugar glider.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There is the link if you need it Smile I heard about this diet from a lot of research and continually heard about it on GliderCentral's forum, as well as the Sugar Glider Facebook page. The diet is a great price for how long it lasts. I would fully recommend it Smile
Back to top Go down
SecretSquirrel
SecretSquirrel

suggie foods Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggie foods   suggie foods EmptyFri May 04, 2012 2:31 pm

I've tried a couple of different diets for my gliders and neither of them worked very well. The first one (BML) was too high in protein for them and it was making their fur crack.
The next one I tried was HPW Complete (It is different from the other HPWs) and it had all of my cages getting very aggressive- though I'm not sure why.
I want to state now that I'm not downing either diet just sharing my experience with both, some things work better for some gliders and the same ones may not work well for other gliders- that's my view on these two diets: They may work well for yours but haven't for mine.
I lost my faith in proven diets for now, though I may find another that will captivate me and seem perfect for them at some point. What I do for my gliders is to calculate their ratios 2:1 through their fruits and veggies and then give 1/8 TBS of chicken/hard boiled eggs (mine dislike scrambled). I also pick them glider safe flowers from my yard so that they can get their pollen until I can get my order of pollen in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

suggie foods Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggie foods   suggie foods Empty

Back to top Go down

suggie foods
Page 1 of 1