Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to get real information about Sugar Gliders without the Sugar Coating.

HomeVisit our website!GallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inJoin us in Chat!

What is the best way to introduce new foods to Gliders?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BrandyF
BrandyF

What is the best way to introduce new foods to Gliders? Empty
PostSubject: What is the best way to introduce new foods to Gliders?   What is the best way to introduce new foods to Gliders? EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 7:03 pm

When I got Snappy she was being fed a diet of dry cat food only. The person that owned her had her eating fresh fruit before she went to her temporary home, but she didn't eat a large variety. She mainly ate cantaloupe and apples. Since I've had her, I've got her on a more balanced diet, but I'm having trouble getting her to have anything to do with veggies. She finally ate a green bean the other night after I had given them to her five or six times. She is eating a better variety of fruits, but she just doesn't want the veggies. What is the best way to get her to eat them?

This is the diet that I use for her - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://brandyscreativeramblings.blogspot.com
JazzNZoeysmom
Glider
Glider
JazzNZoeysmom

PostSubject: Re: What is the best way to introduce new foods to Gliders?   What is the best way to introduce new foods to Gliders? EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 9:03 pm

That's common. The more research I do the more I learn that they don't really eat a lot of veggies... they eat the nectar out of various flower blooms. We offer various fruits/veggies so they get the vitamins that they need, and this is the only way we can give them since we don't grow many of the native foliage here in the states.

Many people will blend them up and mix them with their staple to "trick" them into eating them. You could give that a try.

Candy could probably offer you some useful suggestions as well.

I always offer veggies just as everyone does but mine very seldom eat them. I slip them Green Juice when I can to help with that.
Back to top Go down
sharonjean
Joey
Joey
sharonjean

PostSubject: Re: What is the best way to introduce new foods to Gliders?   What is the best way to introduce new foods to Gliders? EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 3:41 am

That's what I would do, kind of like weaning a child, just take it slow and gradually move it up!
Back to top Go down
SecretSquirrel
SecretSquirrel

PostSubject: Re: What is the best way to introduce new foods to Gliders?   What is the best way to introduce new foods to Gliders? EmptyTue May 01, 2012 3:56 pm

Have you tried offering some veggies through the day like you normally would a treat? If they think it's something special they might be more inclined to take it, especially if they're getting it from your hand.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is the best way to introduce new foods to Gliders?   What is the best way to introduce new foods to Gliders? Empty

Back to top Go down

What is the best way to introduce new foods to Gliders?
Page 1 of 1