Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to get real information about Sugar Gliders without the Sugar Coating.

HomeVisit our website!GallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inJoin us in Chat!

Switching from Dried Mealies to Live.

Go down 
+2
LSardou
lovekelc
6 posters
AuthorMessage
lovekelc
Super Glider
Super Glider
lovekelc

Switching from Dried Mealies to Live. Empty
PostSubject: Switching from Dried Mealies to Live.   Switching from Dried Mealies to Live. EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 9:23 pm

Ever since I have had my babies I have given them dried mealworms because I am just terrified of bugs. Switching from Dried Mealies to Live. 732958398
They have actually eaten every single dried mealworm I have ever given them, they just love them!!
BUT I have seen tons of people say how their suggies just go crazy for live ones.. so I have decided to get over my fear today and I bought 50 live meal worms!

When I saw them I thought that they actually do not look so bad... I am probably used to them because I have seen the dried ones so long! Switching from Dried Mealies to Live. 1922063074

Anyway, I am excited to see how they like them!!
For the meantime, where am I supposed to store them and about how long will they stay small?
Back to top Go down
LSardou
Admin
Admin
LSardou

PostSubject: Re: Switching from Dried Mealies to Live.   Switching from Dried Mealies to Live. EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 12:39 am

I felt the same way when I first heard about feeding live mealies. You do get used to them after awhile, especially when you see how happy they make our little ones.

When you get the mealies, make sure that there are NO dead ones (those will be soft and almost black). Leave them sit at room temperature over night to allow them to feed. You can put a few slices of potato, or carrots in for liquid, along with fresh rolled oats. Do not use instant oatmeal, as this will clump up and cause mold growth.

After they have been fed, remove all unused potatos/carrots, check to make sure that the oatmeal bedding is 'dry' (this is vital), place the mealies in the frig in a container with a lid that has several holes poked through to allow ventilation. Take them out to feed once a week.
Back to top Go down
http://www.millbreederproject.com
JazzNZoeysmom
Glider
Glider
JazzNZoeysmom

PostSubject: Re: Switching from Dried Mealies to Live.   Switching from Dried Mealies to Live. EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 9:35 am

Me too… I bought the dried ones but mine wouldn’t touch them. I finally got up the nerve to buy live ones and Linda is right…. they go nuts for them, & my sweet Mala chirps up a storm while she munches. It’s so darn cute.

You can buy feeding tongs near the live bug area at the petstore so you don’t have to touch them. I don’t like touching them but I have and they are really quite smooth & slick feeling…not gross and slimey as I would expect, but it’s safer for your fingers if you use tongs.
Back to top Go down
Kozi
Admin
Admin
Kozi

PostSubject: Re: Switching from Dried Mealies to Live.   Switching from Dried Mealies to Live. EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 2:28 pm

I use a tiny jewelry making pliers or tweezers, honestly.. I already have both. xD; But yes, I REFUSE to touch them!
Back to top Go down
http://kozigliders.com
viciousencounters
viciousencounters

PostSubject: Re: Switching from Dried Mealies to Live.   Switching from Dried Mealies to Live. EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 2:44 pm

They like them way better...typically lol some gliders like to not conform.

Keep your mealworms in the refrigerator if you want them to last for a long time. They will last in there for a few weeks otherwise most of them will pupate within the next week or so if left out at room temperature.
Back to top Go down
http://www.viciousencounters.etsy.com
JazzNZoeysmom
Glider
Glider
JazzNZoeysmom

PostSubject: Re: Switching from Dried Mealies to Live.   Switching from Dried Mealies to Live. EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 3:14 pm

Vicious, you make a good point...and it's not my intention to highjack this thread but this may be good info. for those who come behind us and read....

I know mealworms pupate into beetles if kept at room temp., why is it we don't allow this? Why do we not let some become a beetle and feed those to our gliders?
Back to top Go down
viciousencounters
viciousencounters

PostSubject: Re: Switching from Dried Mealies to Live.   Switching from Dried Mealies to Live. EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 10:36 pm

I am pretty sure it has to do with the beetle using many of it's nutrients to make the shell so in that stage it is probably less nutritious. . . does that sound reasonable? lol
Back to top Go down
lovekelc
Super Glider
Super Glider
lovekelc

PostSubject: Re: Switching from Dried Mealies to Live.   Switching from Dried Mealies to Live. EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 12:40 am

Thank you everybody for the information!!
I gave them to my babies yesterday and when my Momo saw them she attacked the mealworm! Switching from Dried Mealies to Live. 3645594039 Switching from Dried Mealies to Live. 1209530454 I have to say I am glad I switched.

Momo basically dove into the feeding bowl and ripped off its head! Hahah. It was amazing. She hogged up all of the mealworms! Cheezers on the other hand did not seem as interested as Momo.. I tried showing him the feeding bowl and he just looked at it without any interest.

I gave the mealworms a carrot so that they could feed on late last night, and today I put them in the fridge.
Also I used tweezers, they came in very handy...some of those mealworms are feisty! Switching from Dried Mealies to Live. 2348184987
Back to top Go down
lovekelc
Super Glider
Super Glider
lovekelc

PostSubject: Re: Switching from Dried Mealies to Live.   Switching from Dried Mealies to Live. EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 12:42 am

How big are they when they are beetles? Switching from Dried Mealies to Live. 1525859587
Back to top Go down
SecretSquirrel
SecretSquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Switching from Dried Mealies to Live.   Switching from Dried Mealies to Live. EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 1:29 pm

It took me forever to find the answer to this one, lol. 3.5 centimeters. I'm glad your babies are enjoying the live worms!
Back to top Go down
viciousencounters
viciousencounters

PostSubject: Re: Switching from Dried Mealies to Live.   Switching from Dried Mealies to Live. EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 1:52 pm

Oh sweet! Now you just have to convince cheezers. And yea the bettles are about 1/2 inch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Switching from Dried Mealies to Live.   Switching from Dried Mealies to Live. Empty

Back to top Go down

Switching from Dried Mealies to Live.
Page 1 of 1