Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to get real information about Sugar Gliders without the Sugar Coating.

HomeVisit our website!GallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inJoin us in Chat!

Anyone ever have to try & get their glider to lose weight?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rchurch
Glider
Glider
Rchurch

Anyone ever have to try & get their glider to lose weight? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone ever have to try & get their glider to lose weight?   Anyone ever have to try & get their glider to lose weight? EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 6:39 pm

My baby girl is, unfortunately, overweight. I hear that White Face gliders have that tendency. Sad Anyway, any good ideas to help her lose weight?

Should I cut out mealies altogether?

Would any foods help kick start her metabolism?

Foods to avoid? (I believe corn & avocado are on that list?)

Back to top Go down
LSardou
Admin
Admin
LSardou

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever have to try & get their glider to lose weight?   Anyone ever have to try & get their glider to lose weight? EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 1:16 am

First of all, you can cut down on the amount of 'fatty' foods. Avocado, Corn, Mealies, Yogurt Drops, or any juices that are high in sugar.

Set up a regular exercise routine with her. Climbing, jumping, stretching. If you have an exercise wheel, encourage her to run in it. The more exercise she gets the better her chances are with loosing weight.

Some gliders are naturally lazy. If she acts as though she just wants to eat and sleep, you will need to encourage her with stimulating things to do to keep her from being lazy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.millbreederproject.com
viciousencounters
viciousencounters

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever have to try & get their glider to lose weight?   Anyone ever have to try & get their glider to lose weight? EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 5:02 am

You may not need too. Some gliders just have different frames, so while one may weigh more it doesn't mean they are over weight. Typically gliders are 80-120 grams give or take. My 5 year old WFB is 76 g while my 3 year old is 124 g.
Back to top Go down
http://www.viciousencounters.etsy.com
Rchurch
Glider
Glider
Rchurch

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever have to try & get their glider to lose weight?   Anyone ever have to try & get their glider to lose weight? EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 6:31 am

Been talking to Val over on TSS about this, too. I need to weigh her first and I'm not looking forward to that game! Though, on the bright side, if we play a game of "catch me if you can", she will STILL be getting the much needed exercise, right? LOL

I don't even own a scale. I know I'm horribly deficient on the medical aspect of things. Been lazy and making the vet do it--but in my defense, I just recently found out you're supposed to weigh them monthly. No body told me this before! UGH! Even at 9 months' as a suggie mom, I have so much more to learn!!

So, that being said, do you guys prefer a digital scale? I am guessing yes?
Back to top Go down
Rchurch
Glider
Glider
Rchurch

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever have to try & get their glider to lose weight?   Anyone ever have to try & get their glider to lose weight? EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 6:53 am

Had a wonderful night w/her last night!

We didn't get a lot of sleep the night before so we went to bed at 9:30PM. Before bed, we played with the feather for a good 10-15 min.

Then she started barking at about 1:30AM, so I got out of bed and when I brought the feather out, she stopped mid-bark to play! 5 minutes later, she was tired, went back to her pouch.

My husband's alarm went off at 6AM, I got up and we played some more!

And I did hear her in the wheel last night, too. So she got some GOOD exercise! Gonna do tent time tonight so hopefully this will also help.

I am going to post some pics so you see what she looks like. Here's a recent pic:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Compared to when we first got her (but she was 10 months to a year old here):

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
kjgoulet
Joey
Joey
kjgoulet

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever have to try & get their glider to lose weight?   Anyone ever have to try & get their glider to lose weight? EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 3:31 am

Good news!

Some gliders are just bigger than others, I have Romeo who came home at 6 months OOP and 150 grams. Now at over a year and a half he is 206 grams! Yes he is overweight but him getting down to 120 grams is never going to happen, and it wouldn't be good for him. However I have a couple gliders that are less than 100 grams at their adult weight and look great!

If she is overweight, like what was said before cutting back on avocado, corn, treats, and more exercise will help. I actually had my colony (all chubby) on veggies 2 nights, then 1 night fruit, veggies 2 nights, etc. and they did lose a little Smile but of course their faces are just too cute and I started in with the treats again.

A Custom Cruiser wheel from Bourbon can help if they like it, I got one for my colony and only one of two of them use it lol! Otherwise I've heard great things about Dallie's treadmill!

**Note: I feed HPW Plus and I did ask Peggy (diet creator) about ways to help them lose before I switched it. She suggested cutting back on fruits Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.tenderlovingsuggies.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever have to try & get their glider to lose weight?   Anyone ever have to try & get their glider to lose weight? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever have to try & get their glider to lose weight?
Page 1 of 1