Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to get real information about Sugar Gliders without the Sugar Coating.

HomeVisit our website!GallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inJoin us in Chat!

Freezing Fruits in Serving Size Portions

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BrandyF
BrandyF

Freezing Fruits in Serving Size Portions Empty
PostSubject: Freezing Fruits in Serving Size Portions   Freezing Fruits in Serving Size Portions EmptyMon May 07, 2012 10:17 am

I made a veggie puree yesterday and was able to portion it out into ice cube trays and freeze. It froze hard so I could pop the cubes out and put into ziploc bags for long term storage.

I would like to do something similar with some fruit, but I don't want to puree the fruit. I would like it to be in more of a dice. I'm wondering if any of you have had any luck with doing this and then being able to freeze it in such a way that allowed you to transfer the individual portions to ziploc bags for long term storage.

My thought is that fruits are very plentiful here right now. They are also very inexpensive and great tasting. What I would like to do is put up some of my own fruits in the freezer for the winter time when they won't be as good or plentiful.
Back to top Go down
http://brandyscreativeramblings.blogspot.com
freckles
Glider
Glider
freckles

PostSubject: Re: Freezing Fruits in Serving Size Portions   Freezing Fruits in Serving Size Portions EmptyMon May 07, 2012 10:31 am

since fruit is usually damp when cut I imagine it would stick together fairly well when frozen if put in an icecube tray. Or you could spread it and freeze the bits then toss into a bag and sco0p out a serving size? sprinkle a bit of water on it to get them to stick well and freeze in portions?
Back to top Go down
shadow
Admin
Admin
shadow

PostSubject: Re: Freezing Fruits in Serving Size Portions   Freezing Fruits in Serving Size Portions EmptyMon May 07, 2012 11:36 am

i just cut the fruit into like pea size and put them into the icecube tray. it sticks together very well because of how juicey they already are.
Back to top Go down
kjgoulet
Joey
Joey
kjgoulet

PostSubject: Re: Freezing Fruits in Serving Size Portions   Freezing Fruits in Serving Size Portions EmptyMon May 07, 2012 1:24 pm

It is really hard and I wish I would've asked before I tried it for the first time. Ready to freeze fruits like blueberries and things like that, that you don't have to cut will freeze fine. It's the stuff you have to cut up that will pour out the juices and freeze together. Shadow ^ has a very good idea. I also used to do fruit smoothie but haven't in a while. My gliders did eat it but I got lazy lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tenderlovingsuggies.webs.com
vegasugar
Joey
Joey
vegasugar

PostSubject: Re: Freezing Fruits in Serving Size Portions   Freezing Fruits in Serving Size Portions EmptyMon May 07, 2012 9:03 pm

this is a great idea for storing the food long term im going to do this!
Back to top Go down
BrandyF
BrandyF

PostSubject: Re: Freezing Fruits in Serving Size Portions   Freezing Fruits in Serving Size Portions EmptyTue May 08, 2012 11:32 am

vegasugar wrote:
this is a great idea for storing the food long term im going to do this!

My thought is that if I can get it at it's freshest and then I freeze it then I know that I am giving my gliders the very best that I can give them. I often freeze fruit for my kids and I to eat. There is nothing better than frozen blueberries on a hot summer day. I pick them myself from a local organic farm and then bring them home, wash them and lay them on towels to dry. Then spread them on a cookie sheet in a single layer and put in the freezer for about an hour. This is called flash freezing. After they are frozen you can dump them into a ziploc bag for storage. I love to just grab a handful right out of the freezer and eat them.
Back to top Go down
vegasugar
Joey
Joey
vegasugar

PostSubject: Re: Freezing Fruits in Serving Size Portions   Freezing Fruits in Serving Size Portions EmptyTue May 08, 2012 6:30 pm

^ oh i love frozen blueberries i have them growing in my garden in my back yard havet had a harvest yet soon i hope i will have allot of fresh fruit and veggies for my new babies to enjoy and thats a good idea so i can save all the fruit for them over time Smile
Back to top Go down
BrandyF
BrandyF

PostSubject: Re: Freezing Fruits in Serving Size Portions   Freezing Fruits in Serving Size Portions EmptyTue May 08, 2012 8:40 pm

I figure it will help with the grocery bill in the winter too. Fruit triples in price in the winter here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Freezing Fruits in Serving Size Portions   Freezing Fruits in Serving Size Portions Empty

Back to top Go down

Freezing Fruits in Serving Size Portions
Page 1 of 1