Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to get real information about Sugar Gliders without the Sugar Coating.

HomeVisit our website!GallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inJoin us in Chat!

Five Thoughts on Bonding

Go down 
+2
StellaAnLuna
Rchurch
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Rchurch
Glider
Glider
Rchurch

Five Thoughts on Bonding Empty
PostSubject: Five Thoughts on Bonding   Five Thoughts on Bonding EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 2:02 pm

Just sharing some observations as I am getting ever closer to that one year mark of being a suggie-mom! There was a time I was just like everybody else that was new: scared, not sure what the "right" thing to do was, wanting to avoid the "wrong". If I could go back in time, this is what I would tell myself:

1. Take your time. This is not a contest where the fasting bonding proves what a good sugar glider parent you are, and you don't need to compare yourself with other peoples' bonding with their sugar gliders. My babies are about as unique to me as I am to them. They are about as unique to other sugar gliders as I am to other humans. What may work for some, may not work for them. And all relationships take time. You don't make friends overnight, do you? The fact that these friends are tiny and furry makes for no exception. Fast friends can be fickle, and leave as quickly as they come. Sugar gliders are super-smart. They seem to inherently know this, and so, if you try to be a "friend fast", it can often be a backwards step. So don't rush it. Give them space and privacy as well as plenty of time together.

2. Play together. I used to think that bonding meant giving them treats and while that is an effective way to bond, it is little more than bribery and you can, indeed, end up with fat gliders! But just entertaining them with the feather toy can get them to appreciate you. Hanging up those monkeys so they can knock them down again is another act of love.

3. It's about progression. A little goes a long way. You start off small: just one pet on the head and then stop. Then maybe work your way up to petting them from head to tail. Sometimes, they'll wrap their tail around your finger and that's nice. They'll come into your hand for a few seconds more than last time. Maybe they'll snuggle down in your shirt and finish off that mealie. Every moment they feel safe, they feel good about being with you, just makes them want to be with you some more.

4. Don't force it. Sometimes, they're just not in the mood. You can be as consistent as a friend as you like but even with my human friends, sometimes, I'm just not in the mood to hang out; I just want to be a couch potato at home. It doesn't mean I don't like my friends. Why should I take it personally if my gliders are feeling the same way? So love them enough to respect their space and privacy when they want/need it. It will just give them time to appreciate the time you spend together more.

5. Don't stress. Animals are very intuitive. They can sense if you mean them harm or if you mean them well. Words are not needed as they can communicate faster than speech. Just love them with all your heart, and be a world of fun. Just go for the flow and see what happens. They will surprise you when you least expect it--and don't you just love surprises? Don't ruin the surprises by being too structured. Life is not a formula of X + Y = Bonding. It is a dance that is ever changing and beautiful. Don't spend so much time worry about how you will get there that you stop enjoying the journey of being where you already are.
Back to top Go down
StellaAnLuna
StellaAnLuna

PostSubject: Re: Five Thoughts on Bonding   Five Thoughts on Bonding EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 8:27 pm

omg, that was just LOVLEY!!! <3
Back to top Go down
LSardou
Admin
Admin
LSardou

PostSubject: Re: Five Thoughts on Bonding   Five Thoughts on Bonding EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 9:12 pm

Excellent Post! Thank you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.millbreederproject.com
Rchurch
Glider
Glider
Rchurch

PostSubject: Re: Five Thoughts on Bonding   Five Thoughts on Bonding EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 7:50 pm

Aw...you guys rock! I'm glad you enjoyed it! Smile
Back to top Go down
viciousencounters
viciousencounters

PostSubject: Re: Five Thoughts on Bonding   Five Thoughts on Bonding EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 11:34 pm

Fantastic job :]

So often these "little" things are over looked!
Back to top Go down
http://www.viciousencounters.etsy.com
Noone145
Glider
Glider
Noone145

PostSubject: Re: Five Thoughts on Bonding   Five Thoughts on Bonding EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 11:35 pm

That is really going to help me Smile Thankks
Back to top Go down
TJones09
Face Hugger
Face Hugger
TJones09

PostSubject: Re: Five Thoughts on Bonding   Five Thoughts on Bonding EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 10:24 am

Very sensible advice, it's very helpful both to those starting out. I've learned a lot about bonding from these forums, but never read about it put in that way. Kind of gives you a better perspective on these precious creatures, and how they might feel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Five Thoughts on Bonding   Five Thoughts on Bonding Empty

Back to top Go down

Five Thoughts on Bonding
Page 1 of 1