Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to get real information about Sugar Gliders without the Sugar Coating.

HomeVisit our website!GallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inJoin us in Chat!

Bonding help?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Noone145
Glider
Glider
Noone145

Bonding help? Empty
PostSubject: Bonding help?   Bonding help? EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 11:47 pm

Okay, so August ninth I got my girls.. So it's been nine days. Now I have come to the realization that Ivy and Nellie have not been handled at all and if so only once or twice for very brief times. So honestly, I'm not sure what to do. It hasn't been long, but I know it is definitely going to be very hard to earn their trust. So I am taking it slow, and really need some tips since these girls are not socialized at all. I have read everything on bonding, but can anyone give me some real life tips, that maybe you have tried with your sugar gliders? Thank you. Not really urgent but just wanted to post..
Back to top Go down
TJones09
Face Hugger
Face Hugger
TJones09

Bonding help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bonding help?   Bonding help? EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 11:58 pm

Taking it slow, consistency, & patience is really all I can say, oh, except treats, you can use treats.

You can try a bonding pouch and just keep them with you as much as you can during the day while they sleep, but my girls really didn't take to it, and I was never really sure whether to press it or not, so decided to let them be during their sleep time. It is taking quite some time for my girls, especially one, but we're making progress.

By now you gliders should be acclimated to their new home, so spend as much time when they're a awake with them as you can, talk, give treats, and if you can encourage them to come out with you on their own, that's great. After some time they are not coming to you to come out on their own, you can try taking them out while they're still in pouch, but near time to wake up and let them wake up on you, or sometimes just hold them if it's too early to really wake them.

Everything can really vary from glider to glider and techniques, so you may need to try different approaches, and sometimes that can mean a step backward sometimes. But always be gentle and be their safe place.

Wish you much luck, but you will enjoy every bit of progress.
Back to top Go down
Noone145
Glider
Glider
Noone145

Bonding help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bonding help?   Bonding help? EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 12:13 am

Alright thanks:) I have tried walki around with the bonding pouch while they were asleep, but they are VERY LIGHT sleepers, which resulted in me being crabbed at, so I decided I wouldn't do that..
Back to top Go down
lovekelc
Super Glider
Super Glider
lovekelc

Bonding help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bonding help?   Bonding help? EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 1:51 am

Have you tried making them into bra babies? My little one just falls right asleep when she is in there and just loves it! I love you

It just takes patiences and persistence in my opinion, they seem to do fine when you have them on a routine. They will get used to you and eventually be fully bonded, it just takes time. Smile

Make sure to work on their terms, so that they will soon form a trustworthy bond with you.
Back to top Go down
Noone145
Glider
Glider
Noone145

Bonding help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bonding help?   Bonding help? EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 2:44 am

HAHAHAAH. I can't even hold them, although it would be cute to have a bra baby Wink
Back to top Go down
Rchurch
Glider
Glider
Rchurch

Bonding help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bonding help?   Bonding help? EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 4:55 am

I love tent time. We set up a tent (and get the Genji or otherwise pop up tent: it will save you from a LOT of cussing! We're getting one soon-ish. We've got a small 2 person tent & a larger 4 person tent), go in and I put their pouch in between 2 shirts.

At around 9 pm, I slowly turn the pouch inside out (if they don't come out on their own). Sometimes, they just snuggle but just be careful not to peek in at them too much or THEY WILL CRAB at you! LOL! It may be YOUR shirt but as far as they're concerned, it's THEIR POUCH!

To put them up, just lift up your outer shirt and offer them their pouch. You may have to use treats to get them to go in there though it can be frustrating because sometimes they will grab the treat and RUN out of their pouch to eat it! LMAO! Just be patient. They will go back into their pouch as it stinks of their smell & is familiar to them. (Whatever you do, don't chase them around. Just lay down the pouch and give them some space so they feel safe enough to go in there.)

Make sure it's on a night that you don't mind being up til, say, maybe midnight, if they keep you in there.

Bring a bottle of water or soda for you just in case you get thirsty.

We also have the mesh part of the tent facing the tv so we have something to do. Ignoring them sometimes is the best thing to do to get them to interact with you. (they're like cats in that sense! If you keep chasing them around, trying to get them to be your buddy, they get scared and don't want anything to do with you. But if you ignore them JUST ENOUGH, they get curious and wanna see what's your deal.)

EARLY ON, I'd say treat them like crazy. That way, they know you are the bringer of food, not someone who wants to MAKE THEM FOOD. Wink If you give live mealies, you may want to try using tweezers to give them (one of my boys is VERY mealie aggressive--and it's nothing personal--he just goes NUTS for them and starts biting blind) OR use a plastic condiment cup and just offer mealies to them from there. (Have plenty as back up so everyone gets mealies.)

Get your scent on everything! Before you put in a new pouch, rub your hands thoroughly in there. Before you put in bracelets and rings, rub your hands over them thoroughly. If possible, hand make your toys, cage sets, etc. That is a great way for them to smell you and associate you with home. Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bonding help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bonding help?   Bonding help? Empty

Back to top Go down

Bonding help?
Page 1 of 1