Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to get real information about Sugar Gliders without the Sugar Coating.

HomeVisit our website!GallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inJoin us in Chat!

Big shock in the pet store!

Go down 
+3
SugarShock
viciousencounters
Tasha.W
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Tasha.W
Joey
Joey
Tasha.W

Big shock in the pet store!  Empty
PostSubject: Big shock in the pet store!    Big shock in the pet store!  EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 4:54 pm

Today i was at the pet store, because i was buying a leash for my new comming ferret... and i took aa peak to see the animals they sell...
And what i saw.... THEY GOT TWO BROWN-CARAMEL SUGAR GLIDERS!
i found out they they are from czeck republik and they are miniature suugies (Do they evan exist?)
Two females in too small cage with no shelter... and very wrong food - just apples and mealworms...
I talked to some girl who works there, gave her some tips on how to feed them and stuff ...
And they in the store dont know a thing about these guys Sad
Back to top Go down
viciousencounters
viciousencounters

PostSubject: Re: Big shock in the pet store!    Big shock in the pet store!  EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 11:06 pm

Wow, it sounds like they have stained and inbred gliders on their hands. I am glad you were there to educate, if gliders are a new thing in your area you could start your area off on the right foot with glider husbandry.
Back to top Go down
http://www.viciousencounters.etsy.com
Tasha.W
Joey
Joey
Tasha.W

PostSubject: Re: Big shock in the pet store!    Big shock in the pet store!  EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 12:55 am

Strained and inbreaded? What that means?
I will go to the this pet shop more to help those suggies just not to die
Here are so unknown so they cant just sell to anyone
Back to top Go down
SugarShock
Still IP
SugarShock

PostSubject: Re: Big shock in the pet store!    Big shock in the pet store!  EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 9:24 am

Tasha,
When a Glider is being fed an inadequate diet, sometimes it will result in their coat changing from a healthy gray, to a dark brown, "stained" color. I've seen a few people who have adopted Gliders' from these conditions who believe that they have a unique color variation on their hands, such as a Lion or a Cinnamon. In reality, it is the lack of a proper diet that is making them this color. I've found that with stained Gliders, there is also a stronger "smell" than with Gliders that are being fed a balanced, healthy diet. Smile
Back to top Go down
Http://www.sugarshock.forumotion.com
lovekelc
Super Glider
Super Glider
lovekelc

PostSubject: Re: Big shock in the pet store!    Big shock in the pet store!  EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 10:49 am

Inbred gliders are sugar gliders that have been bred by their own family. Such as a mother has a baby boy and once the baby becomes mature enough he has the chance of breeding with his mother. Sad

Keep educating! That is awesome that you are there to help.
Back to top Go down
Tasha.W
Joey
Joey
Tasha.W

PostSubject: Re: Big shock in the pet store!    Big shock in the pet store!  EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 11:50 am

Tomorow i will go to this store and give them a proper diet... i just cant live looking at animal dieing
Back to top Go down
LSardou
Admin
Admin
LSardou

PostSubject: Re: Big shock in the pet store!    Big shock in the pet store!  EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 12:43 pm

If the owner of the pet store is open minded, you could always give him/her the link to our web site and mention to them that there is tons of information that would be helpful to them, which in turn would increase their sales if they had happy healthy gliders.
Back to top Go down
http://www.millbreederproject.com
Tasha.W
Joey
Joey
Tasha.W

PostSubject: Re: Big shock in the pet store!    Big shock in the pet store!  EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 2:17 pm

The owneer is selling them because he wants to be something special...
I will help as hard as i can, for the good of the animals ...
Could you help me put together a simple diet please?
Back to top Go down
SecretSquirrel
SecretSquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Big shock in the pet store!    Big shock in the pet store!  EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 8:57 pm

Here are the recipes for 2 good diets. In your shoes I would explain to him that to be something special and notable that healthy and happy animals are always noted and will also make him more respected. I wish you all the best!

Subject: Diet: Original HPW Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:30 am
+
----
-
Original HPW Diet - Instructions from the sweet sugar gliders website.
(Not to be confused with the HPW Plus or HPW Complete diet. This is the ORIGINAL HPW diet. Please read carefully.)

HPW Recipe

Ingredients
2 cups warm water
1.5 cups honey
3 scrambled eggs
1/4 cup High Protein Wombaroo Powder (if you have a breeding pair with a nursing or lactating female, increase the amount of HPW Powder to 1/2 cup for the female's HPW Diet)
*1 TABLEspoon Australian Bee Pollen (or American Bee Pollen)

Instructions
Cook eggs, set aside. (Easy microwaving instructions below.)
In large bowl mix water and honey. Stir until honey is dissolved.
Add in HPW powder, mix well.
In a blender add in eggs, bee pollen and 1/2 to 1 cup HPW liquid mixture. Blend for two minutes.
Add in additional liquid and blend for another two minutes.
Pour into a freezer safe bowl with an airtight lid. Keep in freezer. HPW will freeze to consistency of ice cream.

Notes:
If this is your first time following the recipe, you will notice that some of the ingredients for the HPW Diet are "exotic". You can find the High Protein Wombaroo Powder and Australian Bee Pollen (or American Bee Pollen) in our store. Sweet Sugar Gliders - Suggie Shop

Feeding Instructions

1.5 TEAspoons of HPW per glider
1 TABLEspoon of mixed fruits
1 TABLEspoon of mixed veggies
Mealies for treats
Gliderade once or twice a week

LGRS Suggie Soup

Direct link to diet web page!

(2.12:1 Ca:Ph Ratio)

Dedicated to Sugar Glider Safety, Health & Emotional Well Being
www.LuckyGlider.org

DISCLAIMER: — Show this recipe to your veterinarian. — Let your veterinarian decide if its contents are good for your pet. — LGRS Suggie Soup is only one part of an overall diet plan. — See the complete section to learn more on foods to feed with the soup. Veterinarians: a comprehensive nutritional analysis of LGRS Suggie Soup is published on http://www.sugarglider.com/nutrition/viewrecipe.asp?item=36

Introduction
The LGRS Suggie Soup is an economical, lower-fat, lower cholesterol, higher calcium, higher protein recipe than similar recipes that use expensive, imported ingredients. This is the standard recipe for all rescues and animals being rehabilitated at Lucky Glider Rescue & Sanctuary. You can dilute the finished product with water and syringe feed it to gliders who are suffering from metabolic bone disease or hind leg paralysis. It is important to first take malnourished gliders to the vet as they are often candidates for a subcutaneous calcium injection and other treatments.

Batches and Freezing
One "batch" of this recipe will produce about 7 cups. With a two tablespoon serving per glider per day, a batch would last a pair gliders two months, depending on waste. You need to keep the bulk of your batch frozen and only transfer amounts needed for a few days at a time into the refrigerator. Please note that as a rescue we err on the side of over-feeding especially when nursing malnourished rescues back to health You may be able to cut back the portions to a tablespoon and a half if the glider is generally healthy. You can water the formula down if they are getting fat. A full grown adult male should be about 150 grams. Gliders that get out of their cage every night and exercise for a few hours usually don't get fat.

Ingredients
1 cup of canned Mango juice or liquefied fresh Mango
1 cup of canned Papaya juice or liquefied fresh Papaya
2 cups of Calcium & Vitamin D fortified Orange Juice
2 cups of Filtered Honey -1
1/4 cup of Plain, Low-Fat Yogurt (kind with 12g protein per half pint)
1 small scrambled egg
1 Tablespoon of Trader Darwin's Vanilla Flavored Soy -2
1 Tablespoon of powdered, Dehydrated Fly Pupae -3
2 Tablespoons of powdered Bee Pollen -4

NOTE SEE FOOTNOTES BELOW FOR
SOURCES OF THESE INGREDIENTS

FOOTNOTES:
-1 Do not use raw, comb, or unfiltered honey. Look for the world “filtered” or
“pasteurized” on the label.
-2 A nutritional analysis of Trader Darwin’s Vanilla Flavored Soy is on this web
page: http://www.sugarglider.com/nutrition/food.asp?ndbid=999989
If you cannot get this item in your area, other vitamin fortified soy isolate products
will work, but compare them and try to come close to this nutritional profile. A
suitable substitute for Trader Darwins is Arnold’s Choice Possum Milk Replacer.
You can find Arnold’s choice here:
http://www.sugar-gliders.com/possum-milk-replacer.htm.
A third choice is Designer Whey:
http://www.designerwhey.com
-3 Make sure they are DEHYDRATED. Get the Pupae *not* the Larvae.
Dehydrated fly pupae is available from Oregon Feeder Insects Inc. 866.641.8938
www.OregonFeederInsects.com
If you cannot get this you can substitute dried crickets.
-4 Bee pollen is available on line at www.BulkFoods.com
You can also buy it at local “Whole Foods Market” or GNC nutrition stores.

Preparation
1. Cook and scramble egg, set aside to cool
2. With a blender, powder the bee pollen and dehydrated fly pupae together so it is one fine powder and set aside
3. Warm honey using a hot water bath method or microwave.
4. Mix warmed honey and juices in blender
5. Add protein powder and yogurt to the juice and honey mixture. Blend till smooth [depending on the size of your blender. You may need to blend the rest in stages]
6. Add egg and pollen/pupae mix into the liquid ingredients. Blend until smooth.
7. Pour into small freezer-safe containers for freezing use containers that you can put in the fridge with enough to last two or three days. If you have two gliders who will only eat two tablespoons per serving, those containers can be pretty small. You can freeze the soup in ice cube trays and pop the frozen cubes into freezer bags.

Fruit and Veggie and Meat Compotes
You should also offer a compote of properly balanced Fruits, Veggies and Meat on the side of the soup. Offer two tablespoons per glider. Watch out for high Ph contents of meats. Must offset so overall Ca:Ph ratio is 2:1

For compote examples see:
http://www.sugarglider.com/nutrition/publicrecipes.asp

Properly balanced compote recipes on the site include:
- CornPapayaExample (LuckyGlider)
- Eric's Example recipe (Eric Coleman)

Disclaimer: There will be other recipes on the public recipes page at sugarglider.com. Just being there does not make them automatically correct. You have to check. Inside of each recipe's nutritional analysis, be sure to scroll down and ensure there is twice as much calcium as there is phosphorus. That's the general rule of thumb. Dark green vegetables have good calcium, but it is cancelled out by the oxalates, so don't use dark green veggies for their Ca content.

Misleading Ratio Warning
Many dark, green leafy vegetables such as spinach and turnip greens tout high amounts of Ca and a favorable Ca:Ph ratio. This is misleading. Dark, green leafy vegetables are usually high in oxalates. This substance is known to bind to, and prevent the digestion of Calcium in the host plant. This means despite the “high” Calcium content, between 90 and 100 percent of it will not be available to metabolize.https://sgaa.forumotion.com/t23-diet-lgrs-suggie-soupLGRS Suggie Soup Diet
Back to top Go down
Tasha.W
Joey
Joey
Tasha.W

PostSubject: Re: Big shock in the pet store!    Big shock in the pet store!  EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 12:09 am

Thank you!
In the first one here we done have HPW powder and they wont buy it, the second one is to complicated and they wont do it... Sad
They were feeding them apples with some honey, alot of mealworms and crickets i think ... Sad
Back to top Go down
Tasha.W
Joey
Joey
Tasha.W

PostSubject: Re: Big shock in the pet store!    Big shock in the pet store!  EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 10:51 am

So today i was at the pet store, i gave them tree recepies Smile
I had a chance to take both girls out... i think they are not joeys but 3-4 mounths old gliders Smile
They are not that brown anymore, grey and yellow belly Smile and so not used to humans... i have to take them out with a blanket ... when i hold them i gave them some honey, witch i had on my finger Smile
The one was very nice but hard to hold the other bit me :/
i have them rearange the cage and now they can sleep in a flis pouch Very Happy
When i got there at the midle of the day they were awake :/
Back to top Go down
Rchurch
Glider
Glider
Rchurch

PostSubject: Re: Big shock in the pet store!    Big shock in the pet store!  EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 6:34 am

You're a good person, Tasha! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SecretSquirrel
SecretSquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Big shock in the pet store!    Big shock in the pet store!  EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 6:53 pm

You're wonderful for taking the time to help their conditions!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big shock in the pet store!    Big shock in the pet store!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Big shock in the pet store!
Page 1 of 1