Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to get real information about Sugar Gliders without the Sugar Coating.

HomeVisit our website!GallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inJoin us in Chat!

Practice makes perfect

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TJones09
Face Hugger
Face Hugger
TJones09

Practice makes perfect Empty
PostSubject: Practice makes perfect   Practice makes perfect EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 5:38 pm

There are no photos to show you, I didn't want to overwhelm the girls, but I did a little practicing at wearing my SG's. Yup, I took the pouch they were sleeping in, just about 40 mins ago, but the clip was stuck, lol, I woke them up trying to sneak them out. So I fed them a couple of treats to reward them for not crabbing, lol.

Well I finally got them out, and I had rigged this string/strap that I can attach their sleeping pouch to and wear around my neck (bonding pouch style). So I got them attached and threw on a v-neck scrub top over my t so they'd be between the 2 shirts.

My initial goal is to get them used to being held like that enough so they can relax and sleep and bond, then I can begin attempting to trim their nails myself.

My plan:

1. Get girls used to being on me while sleeping for a while, and work on bonding in the process.
2. After they're used to it, then start attempting to get hold of their legs & feet, just to touch them.
3 When they're used to me touching their feet, I will attempt to file nail gently with emory board, so they're used to nails being touched.
4. when they get used to nails being touched, and I have built confidence that I can clip their nails, I'll begin the nail trim process.

Would like some input on my plan.

Our first session of pouch wearing

Well the girls were pretty excited and when I placed the top over them they just couldn't help themselves but to climb all the way out of the pouch and they were on the move. I gave them some apple bits and they ate those.

Lulu would poke all the way out of my shirt but then shy away, she would take apple bits gently from my fingers, no crabbing, no lunging, just gentle and let me pet her, she was so sweet!

Skadoosh when she came poking her sweet head out of my top, I was able to scoop her out and I put her down into my t, lol, she wouldn't go into my bra though, but she did lick me a bit and just hung out there on the outside of my bra, and Lulu was like, "where's Skadoosh?"

It was so cute! And so much fun!!! I can't believe how calm Lulu was and she seemed like a different glider.

I'm thinking tomorrow I may try a little earlier in the day if I can, and wear a cami, then the girls with a t over that. I don't want to over do it though. If I can, I will try to sneak in a photo of these cutie pies.
Back to top Go down
TJones09
Face Hugger
Face Hugger
TJones09

PostSubject: Re: Practice makes perfect   Practice makes perfect EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 2:21 pm

The "not quite bra babies" debut

Ok, just took some photos of the girls, they woke up as soon as I attached the to their pouch to the neck string I rigged. By the time I put my t over them, they were coming out of pouch, not crabbing, but very calm. They were curious and began to crawl all around and of coarse I got groomed.

1st 2 pics their pouch was still attached to neck string, I thought maybe they'd settle down and go to sleep but they were too curious & awake, I gave them each a sweet potato puff. I ended up taking pouch off string and just sat with them inside my shirt as you'll see in the 2nd 2 pics.

I just feel a little bad for disturbing them so much during their bed time, I'm hoping they'll settle in and sleep while on me in the pouch so I can keep them with me for a little while some days.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Rchurch
Glider
Glider
Rchurch

PostSubject: Re: Practice makes perfect   Practice makes perfect EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 3:40 pm

That's bra baby enough for me! And yay for them not crabbing. Smile

I've got to ask though...what is the red (is it silk?) rope in the picture? That's not kept in their cage at night, right? Just read on GG about some guy whose glider hung himself by accident. And ropes have been known to tangle toes.

Back to top Go down
TJones09
Face Hugger
Face Hugger
TJones09

PostSubject: Re: Practice makes perfect   Practice makes perfect EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 6:05 pm

Rchurch wrote:
That's bra baby enough for me! And yay for them not crabbing. Smile

I've got to ask though...what is the red (is it silk?) rope in the picture? That's not kept in their cage at night, right? Just read on GG about some guy whose glider hung himself by accident. And ropes have been known to tangle toes.

No, no, no, the string is actually from a hoodie draw string, it is NOT kept with them at all in the cage. I rigged it for 2 lengths to wear around my neck. I've got C-links in there I connect to their sleeping pouch for when I would get them out to wear on me, it is removable. If they were to sleep in the pouch while I was wearing them, this would hold them if I were to get up & move around, otherwise I just sit with them. That's why I took off the neck string after I realized they were not going to go to sleep, it's not meant to be with them while they're awake & especially when they're not with me.

Once I had a bonding pouch in there that had neck string, I had the string hanging outside, but was warned about strangulation and took it out immediately. Now I don't keep any string anywhere near where they can reach from the cage.
Back to top Go down
JazzNZoeysmom
Glider
Glider
JazzNZoeysmom

PostSubject: Re: Practice makes perfect   Practice makes perfect EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 6:12 pm

Yayyyy! Congrats!
Back to top Go down
Rchurch
Glider
Glider
Rchurch

PostSubject: Re: Practice makes perfect   Practice makes perfect EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 6:37 pm

Okay! JUST checking. I knew you wouldn't since you know better but still...just had to clarify for those lurking newbies out there so they know ropes are NOT okay. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Skyfire4me
Glider
Glider
Skyfire4me

PostSubject: Re: Practice makes perfect   Practice makes perfect EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 4:29 pm

I just attach the c links to my bra straps or tank straps. Works great for me. Still to hot for 2 shirts around here
Back to top Go down
TJones09
Face Hugger
Face Hugger
TJones09

PostSubject: Re: Practice makes perfect   Practice makes perfect EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 4:44 pm

Skyfire4me wrote:
I just attach the c links to my bra straps or tank straps. Works great for me. Still to hot for 2 shirts around here

That's brilliant! I never even considered it, thanks.
Back to top Go down
Skyfire4me
Glider
Glider
Skyfire4me

PostSubject: Re: Practice makes perfect   Practice makes perfect EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 4:59 pm

lol np. I always felt bad about waking them up and moving them to the bonding pouch so I just take the sleeping pouch out now and hook it to me and everyone pretty much just stay asleep. They bounce around less to. Glad I could help!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Practice makes perfect   Practice makes perfect Empty

Back to top Go down

Practice makes perfect
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA :: Sugar Gliders :: General Stuffs-
Jump to: