Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to get real information about Sugar Gliders without the Sugar Coating.

HomeVisit our website!GallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inJoin us in Chat!

Getting a little WF boy tomorrow

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Skyfire4me
Glider
Glider
Skyfire4me

Getting a little WF boy tomorrow Empty
PostSubject: Getting a little WF boy tomorrow   Getting a little WF boy tomorrow EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 2:57 am

A member of my group is unable to care forher gliders anymore and I am taking in her i belive 8 weeks oop little boy. He was a rejected joey and has been handraised by her. He seems to be a bit behind for a glider his age. Not climbing well and maybe some balance issues.

I wasn wondering if I should be carrying him on me during the day or if I should let him stay in his cage? He is a lone glider at the moment since his twin was canablized. I plan on introing him into my colony of 2. My old married couple as I call them. Batman and Princess are pretty laid back and not as spazzy and my other colony. Do you think he is just behind cause he was not raised with gliders?

Not exactly sure what to expect. She did try to intro him back in with his parents and it was a no go.

Any advice would be helpful. I have not had any experiance with hand raised joey to know how they are suppose to act.
Back to top Go down
Rchurch
Glider
Glider
Rchurch

PostSubject: Re: Getting a little WF boy tomorrow   Getting a little WF boy tomorrow EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 11:28 am

Is he large enough to be intro'd to your "married couple"?

I never had to work with a joey but I can say that Batman (MY Batman, heheh) is very slow moving as well and I think it was due to a previously poor diet & just his nature of being very shy. He can move fast when he wants!

To be on the safe side, make sure you get some thorough tests run. A fecal float/smear of course, but I am sure if there are others? Someone with more medical experience on gliders would be able to help answer that question.

Wish I could help more.

(Though, if this is your first WF, do be careful in giving out treats because from my understanding, WF are prone to weight gain. It's certainly true of my Catwoman! Poor thing!)
Back to top Go down
Skyfire4me
Glider
Glider
Skyfire4me

PostSubject: Re: Getting a little WF boy tomorrow   Getting a little WF boy tomorrow EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 6:59 pm

lol My Batman has a nick name of "Fatman". He has lost weight since I got him but still is chuncky at 140gs. His mate is only 79g. He is not here yet so I have no more info then what I gave. I will be doing a vet visit soon just need to keep an eye on him to see what issues I might have with him.

Yay just got the message he is on his way now. So hopefully I will have more info this evening.
Back to top Go down
LSardou
Admin
Admin
LSardou

PostSubject: Re: Getting a little WF boy tomorrow   Getting a little WF boy tomorrow EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 12:55 am

Skyfire4me wrote:
A member of my group is unable to care forher gliders anymore and I am taking in her i belive 8 weeks oop little boy. He was a rejected joey and has been handraised by her. He seems to be a bit behind for a glider his age. Not climbing well and maybe some balance issues.

It's not uncommon for hand raised joeys to have underdeveloped motor skills. It will take a little time for him to gain strength since his development process was compromised. Just take things slow, allow his body to catch up to his mind.

I wasn wondering if I should be carrying him on me during the day or if I should let him stay in his cage? He is a lone glider at the moment since his twin was canablized. I plan on introing him into my colony of 2. My old married couple as I call them. Batman and Princess are pretty laid back and not as spazzy and my other colony. Do you think he is just behind cause he was not raised with gliders?

In the beginning, I suggest that you do carry him around with you as much as possible. This will allow him to gain trust and will feel less stressed. Before you introduce him, I do suggest that you have him neutered, otherwise he will try and mate with the female.

Not exactly sure what to expect. She did try to intro him back in with his parents and it was a no go.

Just make sure that when you begin introductions, you take things slow. Start off by swapping pouches, toys, etc. to allow them to become familiar with each others scents.

Any advice would be helpful. I have not had any experiance with hand raised joey to know how they are suppose to act.

There's not much difference between hand raised and ones raised by their own. Some will be laid back, and take a little longer to develop. Otherwise, once they have reached the point of confidence and trust, they turn out just like the others. You will do fine, just be patient and understanding for the first few months.
Back to top Go down
http://www.millbreederproject.com
Skyfire4me
Glider
Glider
Skyfire4me

PostSubject: Re: Getting a little WF boy tomorrow   Getting a little WF boy tomorrow EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 1:16 am

Well It seems that i got a little more on my hands then I though.
He is tiny!!!!!!!!!! 58g. he was premature when he was booted out of the pouch. He had very little hair.
She was given wrong info onhow to hand raise a joey. She knows better now. I think he is a bit malnuriosed?
oop date is May9th. He is almost 12weeks oop. But is the size of a 4 to 8 week joey.
He is VERY sweet! and a instant bra baby. He is crabbing at me a bit.
His balance is not good and can't climb.
She has been feeding hpw blended with fruits and veggies and pedilite. I don't think he was getting a protine with it so I am trying to give him some chicken baby food since he can't seem to hold his food yet.
I am hand feeding him and feeding suggie soup which he took to right away with no issues.
He is not grooming himself.
I can't get him fixed yet he is to small and to young.
I am now thinking that I may take my little Azelia and put her with him. She is about a month older then him. I think he could use being with another glider to learn how to be one.
I have to keep him in a small cage due to his lack of being able to get around very well.

May take him in for a check up very soon.

I do not belive he is dying.. I can belive that he may just be special.. Maybe there is something wrong with him and that is why the parents killed his twin and tried to dothe same to him.
Back to top Go down
Skyfire4me
Glider
Glider
Skyfire4me

PostSubject: Re: Getting a little WF boy tomorrow   Getting a little WF boy tomorrow EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 am

ok after some research I belive I found out what is wrong with Emmett

Well it seems to me that I may have just got a glider that has the wiggle gene. A member of my local group rescued these gliders off Cl and they female was pregnant with twins. She kill one and they other was saved. He has been hand raised and is now 12 week oop. I do belive that the father is now fixed. I currently have the surving joey and he is as sweet as can be. No I am not having him put down and no I am not giving him up or anything like that. He is special and that is all. I have read someof the old posts about it but I would like to talk to anyone that have experiance with these gliders.

Please lets not make this a drama thing like I saw on those othe posts. I don't care who started this gene as sad as it is. I just want to know how best to care for him.

Please call me or message me.

Leslie
520-304-5961
Back to top Go down
LSardou
Admin
Admin
LSardou

PostSubject: Re: Getting a little WF boy tomorrow   Getting a little WF boy tomorrow EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 9:55 am

Although this could is a possibility, this is something that is not common. Before concluding, I strongly suggest that you do have him examined by a Vet first.

I think putting him in with Azelia is a great idea, since they are close in age, and she would most likely begin to nurture him. When you do decide to do so, it's important to keep a very close eye on them to make sure that they are compatible.
Back to top Go down
Skyfire4me
Glider
Glider
Skyfire4me

PostSubject: Re: Getting a little WF boy tomorrow   Getting a little WF boy tomorrow EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 2:41 pm

Well they took to each other right off the bat and have showen a huge interrest in each other but not going to do that yet. Need to find out if this is indeed what he has. If it is then He will need to be kept in a smaller cage and I am not sure she will be happy in a smaller cage. There would be to much of a chance of him falling and getting hurt in a tall cage. I am still doing research for more info. Here is the video I took last night of him.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
shadow
Admin
Admin
shadow

PostSubject: Re: Getting a little WF boy tomorrow   Getting a little WF boy tomorrow EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 3:28 pm

you can still have them in a big cage you just need to hang lots and lots of bridges and hammocks and stuff to catch him if he falls.
Back to top Go down
Skyfire4me
Glider
Glider
Skyfire4me

PostSubject: Re: Getting a little WF boy tomorrow   Getting a little WF boy tomorrow EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 3:33 pm

Well Beth says she has wiggle babies and he is not showing those signs. I am now leaning toward malnurosed.
Back to top Go down
Skyfire4me
Glider
Glider
Skyfire4me

PostSubject: Re: Getting a little WF boy tomorrow   Getting a little WF boy tomorrow EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 1:09 am

Finally was able to get a ride to the vet since my car is broken at the moment. The owner pretty much just dumped him on me so I guess he is mine now. Vat agrees with me that he has a serious lack of calcium. What is my luck at getting a vet that has rescued sugar gliders for over 10yrs!!! She is from NY so if anyone wants her name let me know! She is awsome! So we are running a fecal just in case but it looked normal when we collected it. She was quite pleased at how it looked since he looked so bad. His eye, ears, and nose are clear and his weight on their scale was 56g. very tiny for 12 weeks oop. I was told he can have a cage mate during sleeping time but not play time so we avoid broken bones. I have to watch for infection since he is so weak and since he just moved.

I am really hopeing for a full recovery of this sweet little boy and a nueter when he is better! Ty all for your info and advice.
Back to top Go down
LSardou
Admin
Admin
LSardou

PostSubject: Re: Getting a little WF boy tomorrow   Getting a little WF boy tomorrow EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 1:33 am

Thank you for the update!

Did your Vet put him on any type of calcium supplement?
Back to top Go down
Skyfire4me
Glider
Glider
Skyfire4me

PostSubject: Re: Getting a little WF boy tomorrow   Getting a little WF boy tomorrow EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 1:54 am

Oh I'm sorry I thought I said that yes he is. I am suppose to get the results to his fecal on Sat I belive. Yes he is on the cal drops 2X a day for a week and then once a day for 3 weeks. She also wants me to add a little bit not even a pinch of the rep cal to her food too. I replaced the baby chicken that I was adding to his suggie soup with a bit of ensure. More cal and protien the the chicken baby food. Less energy he has to spend on chewing. She also said give him more bugs so I grabbed a few of the dhydrated fly pipa and smoshed it and added it to his feeding tonight. he didn't care much for the drops but ate it anyways. along with almost 2 servings of the food i made him tonight. She told me not to worry to much about the fruits and veggies right now since he is a bit to weak to eat them so I got some pedilite to put in his water bottle for fluids cause he is a bit dehydrated.
Back to top Go down
LSardou
Admin
Admin
LSardou

PostSubject: Re: Getting a little WF boy tomorrow   Getting a little WF boy tomorrow EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 2:05 am

That's great! It certainly sounds like you found a WONDERFUL Vet. If he/she doesn't mind if you could add their name to our Vet Category. We certainly can use all the 'good' referrals possible for our babies!

Your little ones are exceptionally LUCKY to have you for their mommy. You're doing a fantastic job.
Back to top Go down
Skyfire4me
Glider
Glider
Skyfire4me

PostSubject: Re: Getting a little WF boy tomorrow   Getting a little WF boy tomorrow EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 2:17 am

Lol wish she was staying here in tucson! But She was only filling in hours here and is going back to NY on the 10th. Her name is Amy Morgenstern, DVM. She has rescued gliders for over 10yr! I am glad I have him too. Still trying to decide if and what I will tell the previous owner. I am sooooooo pissed at her right now. The visit even to emergancy didn't cost but $139. That was not money I could really spend right not but I did it anyways cause he desirves to live.
Back to top Go down
Rchurch
Glider
Glider
Rchurch

PostSubject: Re: Getting a little WF boy tomorrow   Getting a little WF boy tomorrow EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 7:54 am

Well what a relief that it isn't HLP or anything other than diet!

I wouldn't tell the previous owner anything, but that's just me. Best to move forward and concentrate on good things, rather than focus on the past & negative emotions, yeah?

If you're worried about his weight, try feeding him some avocado, and corn. That'll fatten him up to size in NO TIME. But he IS a WF so be careful with that because they are prone to weight gain and can often balloon out overnight! :-O
Back to top Go down
Skyfire4me
Glider
Glider
Skyfire4me

PostSubject: Re: Getting a little WF boy tomorrow   Getting a little WF boy tomorrow EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 4:52 pm

Right now the owner only got basic info and only after they messaged me last night. There was no responce after that.

Rchurch: Ty for talking to me lat night in chat when I was stressing on how to get him to the vet! My sis tried to get me there before 6 but we didn't make it so I had to pay for an emergancy visit. Oh well at least I got him there. Avocado is a good idea but not corn. 1. to much Pho. Dr doesn't want me to add more. 2. He can't hold it to eat it anyway.
Back to top Go down
Rchurch
Glider
Glider
Rchurch

PostSubject: Re: Getting a little WF boy tomorrow   Getting a little WF boy tomorrow EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 8:47 pm

Hey, no problem! What are friends for?

And...Yeah, I don't feed corn except a kernal or two on VERY SPECIAL occasions. Maybe less than once a month, if that.
Back to top Go down
Skyfire4me
Glider
Glider
Skyfire4me

PostSubject: Re: Getting a little WF boy tomorrow   Getting a little WF boy tomorrow EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 8:51 pm

Lol I will feed mine more then that in fact I found they love it on the cob! I cut a chunck off a corn on the cob and they tear it up! They drag it all over the cage.
Back to top Go down
Rchurch
Glider
Glider
Rchurch

PostSubject: Re: Getting a little WF boy tomorrow   Getting a little WF boy tomorrow EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 9:58 pm

I think my girl glider is too chunky so I am very stingy with the corn. Maybe when/if she slims down a bit but for the time being...nope!

I often think how cute it would be to see them eating it off the cob, though. I've seen pictures and they're so adorable--but then it is so high is phosphorus that I just can't bring myself to do it. Sad
Back to top Go down
Skyfire4me
Glider
Glider
Skyfire4me

PostSubject: Re: Getting a little WF boy tomorrow   Getting a little WF boy tomorrow EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 10:02 pm

lol just of set it will exra calcium. Also I am only putting an slice that is about half and inch in there for everyone to share not per glider.
Back to top Go down
Skyfire4me
Glider
Glider
Skyfire4me

PostSubject: Re: Getting a little WF boy tomorrow   Getting a little WF boy tomorrow EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 5:05 pm

Well I just want to cry!!! The changes this morning are amazing. He was still awake when I got up. He was hungery. licking and nibbing anything he can get his mouth on. Walking around checking things out. He ate and didn't fall asleep in hi
s food. Wouldn't let me hand feed him. He sat up without falling over! He is trying to grab things with his hands. He actully bit me! hard enough to hurt! If it wasn't for the shakes you would think he was a young glider. I am so very happy right now. He is in playing with the toys in his cage right now. I added a little piece of chicken and a piece of fruit to see if he will pick it up and eat it.
Back to top Go down
shadow
Admin
Admin
shadow

PostSubject: Re: Getting a little WF boy tomorrow   Getting a little WF boy tomorrow EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 6:43 pm

YAY!!! that is great!! its so sad that if you had not come along he probably would have died or at least have lived a very sad short life. and it was such a simple fix too! have you spoke to the old owner yet about how good he is doing??
Back to top Go down
Skyfire4me
Glider
Glider
Skyfire4me

PostSubject: Re: Getting a little WF boy tomorrow   Getting a little WF boy tomorrow EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 6:51 pm

I did get a message night before last and gave basic info. I also directed her to Suz site about rejected joeys so she can do some reading there before the twins come oop.
Back to top Go down
Rchurch
Glider
Glider
Rchurch

PostSubject: Re: Getting a little WF boy tomorrow   Getting a little WF boy tomorrow EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 8:23 pm

Yay!!! Glad he's doing better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting a little WF boy tomorrow   Getting a little WF boy tomorrow Empty

Back to top Go down

Getting a little WF boy tomorrow
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA :: Sugar Gliders :: General Stuffs-
Jump to: