Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to get real information about Sugar Gliders without the Sugar Coating.

HomeVisit our website!GallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inJoin us in Chat!

Question for Toy Makers

Go down 
+2
shadow
BrandyF
6 posters
AuthorMessage
BrandyF
BrandyF

Question for Toy Makers Empty
PostSubject: Question for Toy Makers   Question for Toy Makers EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 10:22 am

I love to make toys for my babies and I am having a small issue that I'm hoping some of you have some tips for.

When you drill holes into plastic items is there a trick to doing it in such a way that the plastic doesn't crack? About 1 out of 3 times the item I am drilling will crack. This isn't a big deal on things that I can easily replace, but if it is something hard to find I could see it being an issue.

If you use a lighter/match to smooth the edges where you drill or cut how do you keep it from leaving black soot like marks on the plastic? It doesn't do this all the time, but when it does the marks are extremely hard to remove.

Thanks so much! I just want to make sure I am making the best and safest things that I can for my babies.
Back to top Go down
http://brandyscreativeramblings.blogspot.com
shadow
Admin
Admin
shadow

PostSubject: Re: Question for Toy Makers   Question for Toy Makers EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 3:08 pm

not sure i have never done something like that before. if you cant get an answer i can ask my dad he might know.
Back to top Go down
Thelittlesugarshack
Almost Weaned
Almost Weaned
Thelittlesugarshack

PostSubject: Re: Question for Toy Makers   Question for Toy Makers EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 11:09 am

I know when I'm putting holes in the plastic shot glasses I use for foraging cups I use a "Creative Versa-tool". I got it at Walmart years ago in the craft section (it's by Walnut Hollow). But it's like a hot cutting knife with a bunch of attachments. You can burn wood ,leather, soldering, and best of all......holes for glider toys:)

The shot glasses are the only thing I have seemed to need the burner for. Everything else I just use a normal drill.
Back to top Go down
http://Thelittlesugarshack.weebly.com
Rchurch
Glider
Glider
Rchurch

PostSubject: Re: Question for Toy Makers   Question for Toy Makers EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 11:52 am

A lot of ppl use a soldering iron.

When using a drill, I just tend to drill really slow. Another tip is that I will start out drilling with a larger drill bit on both sides BUT halfway before I drill completely through, I will switch out the drill bit to something smaller. It seems to take the pressure off & tends to crack less?

I also use toe nail clippers to trim off any excess plastic and if need be, a glass nail file to smooth the rough edges. I give the plastic a "mani/pedi" LOL!

But those ppl who use a soldering iron say they won't use anything else. No mess, no fuss. I just haven't gotten around to giving it a whirl yet.
Back to top Go down
BrandyF
BrandyF

PostSubject: Re: Question for Toy Makers   Question for Toy Makers EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 2:25 pm

I went and got a soldering iron after I posted this question on FB and got so many people talking about how wonderful they are. I won't ever use anything else. I love it and the plus was that it only cost me $10 at Walmart. I just heat it up, poke the hole and I'm done.
Back to top Go down
http://brandyscreativeramblings.blogspot.com
Rchurch
Glider
Glider
Rchurch

PostSubject: Re: Question for Toy Makers   Question for Toy Makers EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 9:07 pm

Okay, I used a soldering iron for the first time yesterday. While it was easier & cleaner in many respects...it bugged me that I could not use different size drill bits for smaller holes. :/

And then...there's the smell of burning/melting plastic. Ick! Not pleasant!

Not sure if I like it. Will probably still use the soldering iron for melting through plastic margarita "glasses" and otherwise easily cracked areas BUT Idk if it would be my first choice.
Back to top Go down
TJones09
Face Hugger
Face Hugger
TJones09

PostSubject: Re: Question for Toy Makers   Question for Toy Makers EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 11:48 am

I guess it may depend on the plastics thickness and the size hole you're talking about, but I haven't got a drill. When making diners, I used to cut with knife and then melt edges with a lighter, it did get soot and would still have cracks. I bought a soldering iron, and used that to make new ones, it worked fairly well. I recently used the soldering iron to make holes in a few plastic items for toy making, it worked beautifully for what I needed and what I was working with. I do plan on attempting some days making holes in some other plastic items in the future. I can keep you posted when I do to say how it worked out.

The items I made holes in so far: plastic Easter eggs & flowers.

The soldering iron I bought was from Joannes and was on sale for $7.50 and I had a special code for $2.95 flat shipping. The local Joannes did not carry it in their store, I had signed up for mailing/email list and there for had gotten the discount shipping coupon/code.
Back to top Go down
SecretSquirrel
SecretSquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Question for Toy Makers   Question for Toy Makers EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 1:22 pm

I love my soldering iron for holes, but I only use it outside because the smell is a killer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question for Toy Makers   Question for Toy Makers Empty

Back to top Go down

Question for Toy Makers
Page 1 of 1