Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to get real information about Sugar Gliders without the Sugar Coating.

HomeVisit our website!GallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inJoin us in Chat!

2 days oop. Normal weights?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Skyfire4me
Glider
Glider
Skyfire4me

2 days oop. Normal weights? Empty
PostSubject: 2 days oop. Normal weights?   2 days oop. Normal weights? EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 4:20 am

I was finally able to get my my new little boy Falkor away from mom. I got a weight of 21.8g. Is it just me or does he seem to be huge for just oop?

Also Kayna has been sleeping on the floor of the cage under the fleece on the mesh. Is this normal? They have like 3 pouches all at diffrent levels in there and a fleece covered basket hanging and she is sleeping on the floor by herself with the baby while dad and daughter are sleeping in one of the pouches? I just took a basket and lined it with fleece and put in blankets and set it on the floor. After I weighted him I put him in the basket and she climb in with him and started singing to him and letting him nurse. I hope she keeps him in there.

Any tips about how to keep her off the floor would be great!
Back to top Go down
LSardou
Admin
Admin
LSardou

PostSubject: Re: 2 days oop. Normal weights?   2 days oop. Normal weights? EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 2:08 pm

Other than removing whatever you have on the floor, there's not much more that you can do. Maybe, she just feels more comfortable being there with her baby.

How many other gliders are in the same cage? If there's more than just the daddy, she might feel that her joey is in danger if there's another female glider in the cage too. They do become overly protective.

You can read more on the normal weights on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Suz covers everything that you would need to know.

Back to top Go down
http://www.millbreederproject.com
lovekelc
Super Glider
Super Glider
lovekelc

PostSubject: Re: 2 days oop. Normal weights?   2 days oop. Normal weights? EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 2:13 pm

It is better to take all of the pouches out of the cage except one so that the whole family will sleep in the same pouch every night. When you give them the option of sleeping in different pouches then the baby may be left alone for too long.

If you read the passage under the picture "Female Joey versus Male Joey Anatomy" (near the bottom of the article) it will explain everything about sleeping arrangements, including fleece on the floor of the cage.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Skyfire4me
Glider
Glider
Skyfire4me

PostSubject: Re: 2 days oop. Normal weights?   2 days oop. Normal weights? EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 6:09 pm

Ok so I am going to change the cage set out today and put only one pouch in.

It is only Mom, Dad and his 4 month old sister who was going to a diffrent home but They are not ready for another glider so I am keeping her. Dad will be fixed on the 9th. It was the soonest I could get an appointment.

I do belive they are all in the pouch right now. Of course they had to go pick the smallest pouch in the cage to sleep in! She rarely leaves him and when she does daddy is right there with him. She is not aggresive towards her daughter and i rarely hear tsking between them.

I will remove the fleece at the bottom and put it under the cage. I will also see about making a bit of a bigger sleeping pouch for them to all sleep together.

Well from suzi's sites info he is HUGE! he should be 11 days oop at that weight!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2 days oop. Normal weights?   2 days oop. Normal weights? Empty

Back to top Go down

2 days oop. Normal weights?
Page 1 of 1