Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to get real information about Sugar Gliders without the Sugar Coating.

HomeVisit our website!GallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inJoin us in Chat!

So how long does it take

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SASSYS MOM
Face Hugger
Face Hugger
SASSYS MOM

So how long does it take Empty
PostSubject: So how long does it take   So how long does it take EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 12:35 pm

Ok I just think my Sassy's a "B" and likes being a single lady don't want no man don't need no man has all the love toys and snacks she could hope for. Or is it me? I want them snuggled up together and all that but she's so aggressive and he is so passive acts like it hurts his feelings when she trys to be mean to him and he starts out chattering to her trying to be nice so this just makes me think my Sassys a "B". How long before yall could let a couple get together without them fighting? It's been a week (tomorrow) she should know he is another glider and he aint going nowhere. They swap pouches and cages etc all the time.
Back to top Go down
Countryncrafty
Countryncrafty

PostSubject: Re: So how long does it take   So how long does it take EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 3:13 pm

How long have you had them again? Did you do at least a week of pouch swapping, are they in neutral tetrritory? Those are factors in how well they get along.
Back to top Go down
http://cncglidersngoods.com/
JazzNZoeysmom
Glider
Glider
JazzNZoeysmom

PostSubject: Re: So how long does it take   So how long does it take EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 5:21 pm

I hate to say it but that might just be their personalities. Him passive, her aggressive.

I know you're asking how long it can take but in all honesty I think it is what it is. I've intro'ed 7 and have never had a "settling in" period... they just kind of climbed in the pouch and that was it. I'm sure in their own little way they established a pecking order but it has never been a visible thing to the humans such as bullying or establishing dominance.

I can only go by my own personal experiences with this...maybe others can enlighten you on a "getting acquainted" period that they have experienced.

I do wish you luck...please keep us informed. I hope your little ones have a happy middle ground.
Back to top Go down
SASSYS MOM
Face Hugger
Face Hugger
SASSYS MOM

PostSubject: Re: So how long does it take   So how long does it take EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 10:44 pm

monday (tomorrow) will be a week. we swap pouches every day sometimes a couple of times and their cages are next to each other so they can see each other and know they both are there and watch each other seeing and smelling etc. Today I showed Skeeter to Sassy and she didnt seem interested in him at all. whats ment by neutral territory is that the tub?
Back to top Go down
JazzNZoeysmom
Glider
Glider
JazzNZoeysmom

PostSubject: Re: So how long does it take   So how long does it take EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 12:24 am

Yes....the tub is a good place.

I take them in when they are sleepy, (morning)...I have gloves ready and a clean pouch. I place one on one end...the other on the other and just let them go...nothing in the tub but them. They will find eachother and begin sniffing and getting acquainted. There may be some tussling or slight crabbing....but just watch carefully and let them be unless they get into a full on ball up fight. (that's what the gloves are for)

After about 5 min. of them sniffing and getting to know eachother I toss in the clean pouch...they will usually scurry into to and begin to settle and snuggle. At that point I keep them on me for the day so I am right there should a fight break out.... I have yet to have that happen once acquaintances go well.

At night I put them back into their own cages but I repeat the intro process the very next day just to make sure it wasn't a fluke and that they are indeed going to get along.... if they settle nicely and have convinced me all will be well..... I scour out the cage they will share. I powerwash it and clean ALL items that will be placed into it. There shouldn't be any "glider smell" on anything that goes into that cage.

The pouch they are sharing will have their mutual scent so that will be the one familiar thing. I place them in the cage in the pouch before they wake so when they do, they explore the cage together, at the same time.... they will mark it.... but it will be theirs.... it won't be HERS, it won't be HIS.... that cuts down on the territorial thing. If you try to put him in her cage or vice-versa, odds are they will fight.... they can be very territorial.

If you get things neutral I think you'll find them having a different reaction. Right now he is still an intruder to her environment...even if it's "near" her environment.
Back to top Go down
SASSYS MOM
Face Hugger
Face Hugger
SASSYS MOM

PostSubject: Re: So how long does it take   So how long does it take EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 12:51 am

ok we did it! i put them in the tub had a bowl of warm water ready and put vanilla extract on their shoulders. skeeter is a wuss and wanted no part of what i was doing and sassy was just sassy well i threw the bonding pouch in there and prayed as they both went in. she started grooming him and its probley been a hr now (in their cage) they are doing fine only sassy keeps wanting to groom skeeter.
Back to top Go down
SecretSquirrel
SecretSquirrel

PostSubject: Re: So how long does it take   So how long does it take EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 3:00 pm

That's a good thing, I'm glad the intros are going well! So how long does it take 3800727493
Back to top Go down
SASSYS MOM
Face Hugger
Face Hugger
SASSYS MOM

PostSubject: Re: So how long does it take   So how long does it take EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 12:23 am

ok so far tonight everythings going well when will it be ok to let them sleeptogether all night without me there or without them in their own cages?
Back to top Go down
JazzNZoeysmom
Glider
Glider
JazzNZoeysmom

PostSubject: Re: So how long does it take   So how long does it take EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 1:42 am

Well you said earlier that they were in the same cage.... at this point there's no need to seperate them. If they are in the same cage and aren't fighting & no one is being territorial, then I'd say you're good to go.

I do put their cage in my room the first night just so I can hear them if any fighting breaks out. So put them in your room and see how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So how long does it take   So how long does it take Empty

Back to top Go down

So how long does it take
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA :: Sugar Gliders :: General Stuffs-
Jump to: