Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to get real information about Sugar Gliders without the Sugar Coating.

HomeVisit our website!GallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inJoin us in Chat!

Giving Metronidazole for Sugar Gliders

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
tigerdriver86
Still IP
tigerdriver86

Giving Metronidazole for Sugar Gliders Empty
PostSubject: Giving Metronidazole for Sugar Gliders   Giving Metronidazole for Sugar Gliders EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 6:53 pm

Ok, so my glider has something wrong with her(probably giardia or urinary tract infection, my vet doesnt know gliders to well)

anyways, she wont take the medicine(2cc: Once daily: metronidozole). This is the 10th day and only 2 of the ten days; did I manage get the needless syringe in the side of her mouth to squeeze the medicine in(only 1cc got in, but I felt very liberated getting that much in. She doesnt fall for this anymore, and FREAKS out if I get the syringe near the side of her mouth. Its not just a matter of holding her tight, I do; She moves her face around like a supersonic bobble head.)

basically I have been squeezing little drops out and pressing the syringe to her face, but I cant do this for to long before she really looses it. I try to keep a balance between maintaining her stress level, and giving her the metronidozole(obviously giving the medicine holding chief importance)

Anyways for all the rest of the time I spray it on her stomach. She goes into her cage and licks it all off, in fact its fun to watch knowing shes getting the medicine(i hope)

I did this on day 1...on day 2 her feces was a bright grey color I have never seen before. This got me quite excited, because I assumed this meant she got the medicine.

Well this is day 10, and she seems to be doing much better. She went to the bathroom yesterday with NO pain. Of course I am going to wait before I make any conclusions.

THE QUESTION: Is this an effective method? I have about 14 days worth, the vet only prescribed I use it for 10...should I give it to her for a few more days?

someone should seriosly right a detailed report on giving medication, and what you should expect. Giving this medicine isnt as easy as it sounds.

Last edited by tigerdriver86 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tigerdriver86
Still IP
tigerdriver86

PostSubject: Re: Giving Metronidazole for Sugar Gliders   Giving Metronidazole for Sugar Gliders EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 10:32 pm

I was just reading [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is what she is doing!!!!!

hissing when trying to defecate or urinate
slight hissing combined with a slight crabbing sound
painful urination

She was also throwing up, last time she threw up was the night before I took her to the vet.(10 days ago)

It comes and goes...tonight she started doing this, again. This was the 10th day of her treatment. Somone told me to call some linda lady, ill do that tomorow and see what she says. I hope I didnt mess this up by the way ive giving her medicine, but it's the only way I could get it to her.
Back to top Go down
LSardou
Admin
Admin
LSardou

PostSubject: Re: Giving Metronidazole for Sugar Gliders   Giving Metronidazole for Sugar Gliders EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 9:15 am

tigerdriver86, Something is NOT working for her. Please get her in to see another vet for repeat fecal testing. If she does have giardia, and if it has progressed further than the normal range, she will need to be put on another medication.

If you are not comfortable with the Vet you are using, please let me know and I will assist you in finding another one. You can PM me here or call me at 620-382-3228

Something needs to be done asap.
Back to top Go down
http://www.millbreederproject.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Giving Metronidazole for Sugar Gliders   Giving Metronidazole for Sugar Gliders Empty

Back to top Go down

Giving Metronidazole for Sugar Gliders
Page 1 of 1