Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to get real information about Sugar Gliders without the Sugar Coating.

HomeVisit our website!GallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inJoin us in Chat!

Adopting More Gliders

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BrandyF
BrandyF

Adopting More Gliders Empty
PostSubject: Adopting More Gliders   Adopting More Gliders EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 10:51 am

Right now I just have Snappy. She is almost 5 years old and has never been with another glider. I don't know that she has ever seen another glider since she was taken from her family at about 5 weeks OOP. Her mom died at that point and she was hand raised from then.

I have been talking to a lady near me that has a family colony of 6 that she needs to rehome. I am planning to get them. What I need to know is what things will be different caring for 7 gliders instead of just 1. The family is coming with their large PVC cage and all of their items so I will have all of that covered to begin with. I plan to eventually intro Snappy to them so that they can all live together and will be getting a new cage or expanding theirs once I do that.

Back to top Go down
http://brandyscreativeramblings.blogspot.com
Countryncrafty
Countryncrafty

PostSubject: Re: Adopting More Gliders   Adopting More Gliders EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 11:09 am

I have a colony of 6 Very Happy
The only difference I have seen is more food...and more tent time fun! I love tent time with my six pack as I can play with them and learn their personalities (always learning cuz just like people none of them are 1 dimensional). The only "bad" thing I have found is its hard to find a bonding pouch that they all fit it (but I am fixing that problem). I can't wait to see all the pictures and congratulations!!

ETA:
I personally have never had this problem but with big colonies vet care could become very expensive.
Back to top Go down
http://cncglidersngoods.com/
JazzNZoeysmom
Glider
Glider
JazzNZoeysmom

PostSubject: Re: Adopting More Gliders   Adopting More Gliders EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 11:27 am

I don't know,...I have 7 and I guess to me it's like children. You see those shows where people have like 12 or more kids and you think, "Oh my, how do they manage?" But to them it's the norm...they just do it.

Gliders are the same way... they are all individuals so it's not like you're dealing with cookie-cutter animals. You will fall in love with each one seperately and learn to know and enjoy each of their little personalities. Obviously you'll multiply your food and possibly kitchens but IMO it's just as easy to cook for 7 as it is to cook for 1. Getting them back into the cage after playtime takes skill for me but it doesn't take long to learn. They have free reign of my bedroom for playtime so it's a vast area to round them up in, especially if they don't want to go back into the cage but they all have their favorite places to try to dodge mama & I've learned them all so they can't hide for too long. And I've learned that Zoey & Ariana are my big escapees...I made the mistake of putting them away first once,...cuz of course they are the ones that will run to me and climb right on so I took them in and got them in the cage, but when I came with the others, obviously I had to open the cage to get them IN which was Zoey & Aris' invitation to jump back OUT! Yayyyy fun times! LOL! But now mama's smart enough to put Zoe & Ari away LAST!

Within a few weeks you won't notice a difference and you'll probably wonder how you lived life without the little darlings in it.
I'd be careful intro-ing a lone glider to an already established colony tho but that's another topic.

Congrats!
Back to top Go down
BrandyF
BrandyF

PostSubject: Re: Adopting More Gliders   Adopting More Gliders EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 11:36 am

JazzNZoeysmom wrote:
I don't know,...I have 7 and I guess to me it's like children. You see those shows where people have like 12 or more kids and you think, "Oh my, how do they manage?" But to them it's the norm...they just do it.

Gliders are the same way... they are all individuals so it's not like you're dealing with cookie-cutter animals. You will fall in love with each one seperately and learn to know and enjoy each of their little personalities. Obviously you'll multiply your food and possibly kitchens but IMO it's just as easy to cook for 7 as it is to cook for 1. Getting them back into the cage after playtime takes skill for me but it doesn't take long to learn. They have free reign of my bedroom for playtime so it's a vast area to round them up in, especially if they don't want to go back into the cage but they all have their favorite places to try to dodge mama & I've learned them all so they can't hide for too long. And I've learned that Zoey & Ariana are my big escapees...I made the mistake of putting them away first once,...cuz of course they are the ones that will run to me and climb right on so I took them in and got them in the cage, but when I came with the others, obviously I had to open the cage to get them IN which was Zoey & Aris' invitation to jump back OUT! Yayyyy fun times! LOL! But now mama's smart enough to put Zoe & Ari away LAST!

Within a few weeks you won't notice a difference and you'll probably wonder how you lived life without the little darlings in it.
I'd be careful intro-ing a lone glider to an already established colony tho but that's another topic.

Congrats!

Now you have my curiosity peaked so I will start a new thread about intros.

I like to prep my food in big batches anyway so that won't change. It will just mean I go through a batch faster and may find that I need to do a double batch sometimes.
Back to top Go down
http://brandyscreativeramblings.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adopting More Gliders   Adopting More Gliders Empty

Back to top Go down

Adopting More Gliders
Page 1 of 1