Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to get real information about Sugar Gliders without the Sugar Coating.

HomeVisit our website!GallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inJoin us in Chat!

Stinky stinky boys...help

Go down 
+2
JazzNZoeysmom
freckles
6 posters
AuthorMessage
freckles
Glider
Glider
freckles

Stinky stinky boys...help Empty
PostSubject: Stinky stinky boys...help   Stinky stinky boys...help EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 12:12 am

Hey guys.
Question about these two little fuzzbutts of mine. They are stinking up the place and I don't know why. They are both neutered, but their pee...it's killin me! I clean out the litter tray and wheel every day, and wipe down the cage every few days but it's still really bad at times. I dont wash all their fleece stuff at once...actually the only thing i have washed is a bonding pouch they peed in to the point it was damp lol. They just got up and both peed and it smells SO bad in here right now I may have to leave the room for a while. Any ideas why their pee smells this bad? I mean I expected some odor but this..this is somethin else lol.
Totally not changing how I feel about these guys..I love them to bits, but any advice on how to not have the bedroom smell like a barn would be appreciated

Back to top Go down
JazzNZoeysmom
Glider
Glider
JazzNZoeysmom

PostSubject: Re: Stinky stinky boys...help   Stinky stinky boys...help EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 12:35 am

My first step would be to get a urinalysis done at the vet to see if they are having any issues. The urine shouldn't be so strong.

If the vet can rule out any issues I'd say they may be overmarking for some reason. It's hard to tell. The size of the cage, the size of the room could all play a role. You may just need some good ventilation.

I have 5 and their cage can be strong right after they wake up and all seem to go potty at the same time but it's not so strong that it's bothersome to me.

Ok, after you rule out any health issues and maybe get some good ventilation going, what you can do is..... I order Eucalyptus for my babies thru eucproducts.com When the leaves dry out you can crumble them into the drop pan...it freshens it right up. I also boil some, just like making tea...the newly fresh leaves go back into the cage for the babies to enjoy again...the "euc water" gets poured into a spray bottle with some water to dilute it a bit and you can spritz the cage or the fleece items.. Let 'em dry...you don't want your babies laying in a damp pouch.

Hope that helps a bit.
Back to top Go down
freckles
Glider
Glider
freckles

PostSubject: Re: Stinky stinky boys...help   Stinky stinky boys...help EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 12:42 am

I have read that their diet could be part of the problem...they are starting to eat more of the fruits and veggies but still prefer the protein part of the meal...could that be a part of it?
They are in our bedroom, which is a good size and has high ceilings, plus we always have windows open so ventilation is nit a problem. It seems like they have gotten progressively stinkier over the week.
Back to top Go down
freckles
Glider
Glider
freckles

PostSubject: Re: Stinky stinky boys...help   Stinky stinky boys...help EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 12:43 am

Oh and vet visit coming up soon...I was just waiting until I could handle them without biting as much, but maybe I need to move it up sooner....
Back to top Go down
JazzNZoeysmom
Glider
Glider
JazzNZoeysmom

PostSubject: Re: Stinky stinky boys...help   Stinky stinky boys...help EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 12:56 am

Diet can play a part. I know PP tells you not to feed them insects or animal based proteins or they will stink, but in all honesty mine get animal protein every night and they get mealworms on a regular basis.

And I guess what I need to ask as it comes to mind is, ... is it THEM or is it the cage? My gliders cage can smell, like when the wheel needs to be cleaned...but again, it's not offensive or really strong, it's just a musky smell but my gliders themselves do not stink.

Oddly enough mine actually smell faintly like Ivory Soap. I always bury my nose in their fur and I kept thinking the scent smelled vaguely familiar... then it hit me.... I used to use Ivory soap many eons ago and that is what they smell similar to.

What diet are you feeding them currently? Have you maybe offered them a food that they aren't used to getting? I know broccoli can cause gas...maybe it can make their stool smell nasty as well????? Avacodo can cause runny stool & I would think it may also cause an odor.... just spitballing.
Back to top Go down
freckles
Glider
Glider
freckles

PostSubject: Re: Stinky stinky boys...help   Stinky stinky boys...help EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 1:16 am

Right now they are on the diet the breeder sells (it came with them but I am open to change once it's gone) I have a mix that was blended with eggs, honey, apple juice and is frozen. There are also these biscuits that you put some apple juice on ...she reccomended those alternating and feeding them fruit and veggies as well...I have been giving them a combo of the following blueberries frozen and fresh, apples, grapes, cantelope, watermelon, peas, green beans, corn, frozen strawberries and raspberries, tried broccoli they didn't touch it, they also get one or two yogies each, and some applesauce as licky treats. I have picked two fruits and one or two veggies from that list every night, along with the protein part. I haven't fed them any animal protein except the eggs...I'm ok with bugs..we just haven't gotten to mealies yet. Other meat...we're vegetarian so unless they need it we don't have it in the house and if I don't HAVE to feed them meat I'd rather not (I totall would or will if they need it however).
I'm just a bit overwhelmed by how much their pee smells. They don't smell bad themselves, when I have gotten to hold one they don't smell bad at all. I am pretty sure it's the pee, and pretty sure it's both of them..ESP since they both like to pee on me in the tent lol
Back to top Go down
freckles
Glider
Glider
freckles

PostSubject: Re: Stinky stinky boys...help   Stinky stinky boys...help EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 1:17 am

I appreciate the brainstorming....I am really hoping to figure this out...I expect odor but this is really unpleasant
Back to top Go down
freckles
Glider
Glider
freckles

PostSubject: Re: Stinky stinky boys...help   Stinky stinky boys...help EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 11:59 am

UPDATE:

I had emailed the breeder as well to chat about what type of fruits and veggies they liked with her and she came over to check things out. She thinks they are getting too much protein and not enough of the other stuff so she gave me some suggestions for other fruits to try. We are also going to keep an eye on the smell and if it does not improve soon have them seen by her vet.

Back to top Go down
BrandyF
BrandyF

PostSubject: Re: Stinky stinky boys...help   Stinky stinky boys...help EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 1:13 pm

Have you tried papaya with them? Snappy is super picky almost to the point of starving herself if I don't give her foods that she likes. I hadn't tried papaya yet and I really didn't think she would eat it. I was having a hard time finding fresh ones, but I found some frozen and decided to try it. She loved it and ate it better than she has eaten many other things. I am also finding that if I blend some papaya in with things that she wasn't eating before she will even eat them. It's worth a try.
Back to top Go down
http://brandyscreativeramblings.blogspot.com
freckles
Glider
Glider
freckles

PostSubject: Re: Stinky stinky boys...help   Stinky stinky boys...help EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 1:22 pm

no havent tried papaya yet...its not one of the fruits any of us like so I dont have it in the house lol...but will add it to the husbands list of things to pick up tonight Smile

Back to top Go down
BrandyF
BrandyF

PostSubject: Re: Stinky stinky boys...help   Stinky stinky boys...help EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 1:30 pm

It's the same way here. I try to feed mostly things that we will eat as well so there is less waste, but that's the advantage of the frozen papaya. I can just take out what I need and keep the rest in the freezer. We don't have to eat it. I actually make a few large batches of fruit and veggies smoothies and relishes and then freeze them in serving size portions in ice cube trays. After they are frozen you can pop them out and put them in ziploc bags for long term storage. This cuts down on prep time as well as lets me offer a greater variety without having to worry about something going bad before it can all get eaten. I especially like freezing the fruits and veggies in the summer when they are at their peak and I can get them for a great price or even out of my own garden. By freezing them I will have the variety even in the winter when produce is not as good or plentiful.

I'm going to start a thread over in the diet section about fruit and veggie storage so that we can all share ideas of how to serve our babies the best food available.
Back to top Go down
http://brandyscreativeramblings.blogspot.com
travisn15
Still IP
travisn15

PostSubject: Re: Stinky stinky boys...help   Stinky stinky boys...help EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 6:56 pm

Just to throw in my two cents worth. All the research and my breeder both say the diet is the main cause, we have two females and a male and Ill say the male stinks more then the girls do. But he doesnt stink to a ridiculous level and ours eat fruit and veggies with only live mealies on special occasions. Id go with the look at the protein first...
Back to top Go down
freckles
Glider
Glider
freckles

PostSubject: Re: Stinky stinky boys...help   Stinky stinky boys...help EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 7:14 pm

TY Smile When she smelled them she was fairly certain it was too much protein so tonight they are getting fruit and veggies but not the protein component...trying to get them eating the fruits and stuff more, but to give them the staple component in the am if they havent eaten. Sort of like with kids I guess...taking away the favorite food to try to get them to eat a variety Smile

fingers crossed they cooperate lol
Back to top Go down
JazzNZoeysmom
Glider
Glider
JazzNZoeysmom

PostSubject: Re: Stinky stinky boys...help   Stinky stinky boys...help EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 7:20 pm

Please keep in mind that they do need protein. I personally wouldn't risk their health just to keep them from stinking.

In the wild they are seasonal eaters just like most animals...in the Spring & Summer they are going to have an abundance of insects, eggs, baby birds, mice, ect.

In the winter they dig into the tree bark to get the saps/gums

I'm sure you could back off of the protein but I wouldn't eliminate it.
Back to top Go down
freckles
Glider
Glider
freckles

PostSubject: Re: Stinky stinky boys...help   Stinky stinky boys...help EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 7:29 pm

oh no..not eliminating it...just giving them just fruits and veggies...and later in the morning (early like 4 am ish) will add the protein staple. Just trying to get them to eat the fresh stuff too,

I would never take it away completely...its more like when my kids went through a phase where they would only drink milk and not eat..so they werent allowed to have their milk till after they had eaten some..that sort of thing.

They always have the dry food in their cage anyway, but they prefer the other staple foods of course.

Sorry if I made it seem like I would take the protein away completely..I am typing while doing homework with child 1 and refereeing children 2 and 3 lol

Back to top Go down
JazzNZoeysmom
Glider
Glider
JazzNZoeysmom

PostSubject: Re: Stinky stinky boys...help   Stinky stinky boys...help EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 7:51 pm

LOL! No, I think you were fairly clear I was just second guessing myself as to whether I understood correctly..... But that's ok.... it makes for good reading and clarity for future newbys that may come across this thread. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
shadow
Admin
Admin
shadow

PostSubject: Re: Stinky stinky boys...help   Stinky stinky boys...help EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 8:16 pm

travisn15 wrote:
Just to throw in my two cents worth. All the research and my breeder both say the diet is the main cause, we have two females and a male and Ill say the male stinks more then the girls do. But he doesnt stink to a ridiculous level and ours eat fruit and veggies with only live mealies on special occasions. Id go with the look at the protein first...
mealworms are not the best source of protein to feed since they are high in fat. you should add in eggs or chicken or look into the diets lots of people feed in the diet and heath section.

freckles what about taking in a urine sample to the vet to make sure everything is ok. it wouldnt hurt to check.
Back to top Go down
freckles
Glider
Glider
freckles

PostSubject: Re: Stinky stinky boys...help   Stinky stinky boys...help EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 8:22 pm

I was all panicky earlier and ready to rush to the vet..but after the breeder came over and checked them out and smelled them and we talked, i am much more relaxed. We are going to give the food a day or two and if there is no change at all i am going to her vet with them.
I am really just floored right now that she was kind enough to offer to come over and check on them...it actually calmed me quite a bit because I was a nervous mommy this morning! Its not a foul smell and they are not hissing when they pee, its just...potent, and as soon as she got a whiff she seemed positive it was the food.

She also said they looked great and happy Smile When Kiwi wasn't trying to take her fingertips off LOL
Back to top Go down
freckles
Glider
Glider
freckles

PostSubject: Re: Stinky stinky boys...help   Stinky stinky boys...help EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 11:46 pm

ok..little update Smile

We got some aspen shavings and I put a thin layer in the waste tray and it made a WORLD of difference overnight..literally!!

They also ate way more fruit the past few nights, as well as their protein, they looove honeydew melon Smile and sweet potato.

The breeder (gonna refer to her as T from now on) thinks I was being almost too good...gave them too many vitamins and the vitamin fortified food too often and cleaned too much so that was our stinky issue...they have peed on me since then and it barely smelled compared to last week. Our bedroom does not stink anymore either!

Bonding is progressing...Kiwi still hates to be disturbed in the pouch and Tucker will start to crab when his brother does, but if I just put my hand in there he smells me, and they curl up in my hand and go to sleep. I even got some glider kisses from Kiwi tonight on my fingers. I havent had time to go in the tent the past few nights, things have been busy.

I took them with me on Tues when I had to go pick Abbey up at her gymnastics practice, and when people heard them they were of course curious...most people were just fascinated but the really hilarious part...this one woman who i had to patiently explain to her several times that they were not rodents or flying squirrels...proceeded to then call them "miniature kangaroos" because I said they were a marsupial..LIKE a kangaroo *facepalm*
Back to top Go down
LSardou
Admin
Admin
LSardou

PostSubject: Re: Stinky stinky boys...help   Stinky stinky boys...help EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 6:11 pm

Another quick suggestion is to offer them cranberry juice every couple of days. Also, you can add 1/2cc of apple cider vinegar to their water which will help cut down the high ph levels in their urine.

When you have their urine tested, have them check for the ph levels. The normal level for a sugar glider should range at around 6-7. Any higher, can cause foul smelling urine in addition to making them prone to crystals in their urine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.millbreederproject.com
freckles
Glider
Glider
freckles

PostSubject: Re: Stinky stinky boys...help   Stinky stinky boys...help EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 6:26 pm

They honestly dont smell anymore, but I will indeed keep that in mind if the stink returns Smile I had a cat who had that issue and had a special diet.

It was just that one day that they were so stinky, so it must have been related to what they ate the day before or something because now, I mean there is an odor to their pee but unless it is on me or I am right up in the cage I cant smell it at all Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stinky stinky boys...help   Stinky stinky boys...help Empty

Back to top Go down

Stinky stinky boys...help
Page 1 of 1