Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to get real information about Sugar Gliders without the Sugar Coating.

HomeVisit our website!GallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inJoin us in Chat!

WHY is it important to Quarantine?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Countryncrafty
Countryncrafty

WHY is it important to Quarantine? Empty
PostSubject: WHY is it important to Quarantine?   WHY is it important to Quarantine? EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 12:15 pm

An issue came up recently where a person I know did not quarantine their animals. Nothing as come of it (yet), but they went against the advice of MANY and skipped quarantine. When we discussed it they said it's because they didn't know WHY it was so important to quarantine & felt in their circumstance it was more important to get the animals together. I felt that the "WHY" of quarantine needed to be discussed further so that people would understand why we push for a 30 day quarantine.

**I will say that in EXTREME cirumstances I am personally ok with skipping quarantine-if the animals have been by themselves for so long and are SM-ing OR if they were ripped from a colony (that had nothing wrong within the colony (ie no food aggresion, bullying, etc)) and placed by themselves and now refuse to eat**

I know that quarantine is so important because of MY personal experience with tritrichonomas; I was told it was communicable through feces or dam to offspring. So if I hadn't done quarantine then Cab would have passed it on to Jack and Jim-or of I had gotten the girls as planned at the time then Chardonnay, Brandy, and Sangria. I will say that at first I didn't have my gliders in separate rooms-but they were on opposite sides of the room and not directly across from each other, but I was also using bleach wipes on my own skin, plus sanitizer, AND washing, before, between, and after both doing ANYTHING. I also switched clothes a LOT. and, I didn't do tent time (I didn't have a tent anyway lol.); As soon as I had the option I put them in separate rooms.

That being said-the main thing here is WHY is quarantine so important?
Either personal experiences or facts are appreciated Smile I just want this to be an informative thread.

**I am assuming that people know the definition of quarantine and/or how to do it, just don't know why it's so important**
Back to top Go down
http://cncglidersngoods.com/
SecretSquirrel
SecretSquirrel

PostSubject: Re: WHY is it important to Quarantine?   WHY is it important to Quarantine? EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 1:02 pm

Aside from the illnesses that can be passed (sorry about Cab), the parasite that the vet checks for has a 28 day life cycle. This means at the beginning of the month if your glider is vet checked and has this parasite then is treated that the eggs that the original parasite laid are beginning to hatch at 28 days, the second vet visit is to be sure that your new glider is clear/still clear. The quarantine is to keep them from passing the parasite to your other glider(s) and making for much more costly treatment- and really who likes not feeling well? Why contaminate and potentially make other gliders ill if it's not necessary?
Back to top Go down
JazzNZoeysmom
Glider
Glider
JazzNZoeysmom

PostSubject: Re: WHY is it important to Quarantine?   WHY is it important to Quarantine? EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 5:38 pm

For the sake of clarity and knowledge, what is the name of this parasite?
Back to top Go down
SecretSquirrel
SecretSquirrel

PostSubject: Re: WHY is it important to Quarantine?   WHY is it important to Quarantine? EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 5:02 pm

Internal and External Parasites: Internal parasites include roundworms and hookworms. External parasites include mites, lice, fleas, and ticks, which are parasites that live on the skin.

Round worms:

Juveniles migrating through the liver and lungs also will not be killed by conventional wormers. This is why we worm animals twice three weeks apart and then check a fecal specimen three weeks later. This allows all migrating juveniles to reach the intestine where they are easily killed.

Round Worms are found as larva in glider fesces and can only be detected when the fesces is tested.

When a glider comes in contact with the larva by stepping on their fesces or grooming it out of their fur then ingesting larvie (because they clean their feet constantly)the larvie can develope into round worms.

Live round worms are not passed or absorded, but stay and build up. After a time, intestinal blockage and death will occur if not treated.

The hookworm life cycle:

Adult worms live in the lumen of the small intestine, where they attach to the intestinal wall with resultant host blood loss.

Eggs are passed in the stool, and under favorable conditions (moisture, warmth, shade), hatch in 1 to 2 days.

Larvae are released, grow in the feces and/or the soil, and after 5 to 10 days (and two molts) have become filariform (L-3) larvae that are infective.

These infective larvae can survive 3 to 4 weeks in favorable environments.

On contact with the human host, the larvae penetrate the skin and are carried through the veins and the heart to the lungs.

They penetrate into the pulmonary alveolae, ascend the bronchial tree to the pharynx, and are swallowed.

Upon reaching the small intestine, they undergo two more molts yielding fourth stage larvae (L4) and then adult worms.

Five weeks or more are required from invasion by the L3 to oviposition by the adult female.

Most adult worms are eliminated in 1 to 2 years, but longevity records can reach several years.

Some A. duodenale larvae, following penetration of the host skin, can become dormant (in the intestine or muscle!).

In addition, infection by A. duodenale may probably also occur by the oral and transmammary route. (N. americanus, however, requires a transpulmonary migration phase.)

Tape Worms:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WHY is it important to Quarantine?   WHY is it important to Quarantine? Empty

Back to top Go down

WHY is it important to Quarantine?
Page 1 of 1