Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to get real information about Sugar Gliders without the Sugar Coating.

HomeVisit our website!GallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inJoin us in Chat!

Fruits and veggies...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
freckles
Glider
Glider
freckles

Fruits and veggies... Empty
PostSubject: Fruits and veggies...   Fruits and veggies... EmptyTue May 29, 2012 5:53 pm

I know fresh is probably preferable..but are frozen veggies and fruits ok as well? I have tons of frozen fruit because we make a lot of smoothies, just wanted to make sure it was fine.

Have any of your gliders shown a preference? I know I love frozen blueberries..but fresh ones..not so much. SO didnt know if it may make a difference to the little fuzz butts upstairs Smile
Back to top Go down
JazzNZoeysmom
Glider
Glider
JazzNZoeysmom

PostSubject: Re: Fruits and veggies...   Fruits and veggies... EmptyWed May 30, 2012 1:11 pm

Yep, many people use frozen. And like you say, some prefer fresh while some prefer frozen...it's all a matter of taste. Just as some prefer chunks and some prefer it puree'd.

It's all a crap shoot with these guys...and it's always fun when you think you've figured out what they like and how they like it....only to have them change it up on you! LOL!
Back to top Go down
freckles
Glider
Glider
freckles

PostSubject: Re: Fruits and veggies...   Fruits and veggies... EmptyWed May 30, 2012 1:19 pm

SO far they havent eaten much of the fresh fruits and veggies...didnt touch the broccoli or peas, they do seem to like watermelon but nothing else yet so I was thinking of trying the frozen blueberries..

Should I be worried they are not eating a lot of the fresh stuff or is it probably part of the settling in process? They are eating the blended food and nibbling on some fo the fruit.
Back to top Go down
JazzNZoeysmom
Glider
Glider
JazzNZoeysmom

PostSubject: Re: Fruits and veggies...   Fruits and veggies... EmptyWed May 30, 2012 4:37 pm

Honestly, I'm not sure if anyone else has this issue, but I am finding that as joeys they seem to prefer fruit, but as they get older they kind of "outgrow" it. Mine very seldon eat fruit anymore, and veggies,...I have to disguise to trick them into eating them.

Mine wont' touch a banana or a strawberry, but I can pour them some Bolthouse or Naked Strawberry/Banana Smoothie...and they drink it! And yes, I've tried mixing my own....they will have none of it! I don't get it, I don't understand it, but that's the way it is with them.

If they like yogurt try mixing some blueberries up in it and see if they like it....?????

Oh, and oddly...I bought an Ugly Fruit...had no clue what it was. Mine won't touch oranges. Cut open the ugly fruit and tasted it...it seems to be a combination of orange & maybe a bit of lemon (????)--- gave them some & they LOVED it!!!! Strange little buggers!
Back to top Go down
freckles
Glider
Glider
freckles

PostSubject: Re: Fruits and veggies...   Fruits and veggies... EmptyWed May 30, 2012 6:12 pm

The breeder told me to stay away from bananas because of the potassium...after I had tried giving them some...but they didnt like them anyway.
She also said to stay away from citrus until they were older..but I have no idea why.
We always have those cuties nectarines in the house because my kids love them but i will wait a bit I guess.
The only thing they seemed to eat a lot of was watermelon...and they tasted the blueberries but left most of them. They also both lick applesauce off my finger Smile

Tonight i think frozen berries and maybe we will try green beans Smile
Back to top Go down
viciousencounters
viciousencounters

PostSubject: Re: Fruits and veggies...   Fruits and veggies... EmptyWed May 30, 2012 6:41 pm

I had the opposite of J&Z'smum, my girls refused to eat fruit and only wanted veggies. I have learned that the larger variety you serve the more things you will find that they like but also they have a hard time predicting what may be on the menu tomorrow with all that variety so they just eat whatever they get especially if they like it.

It is important for them to have their fruits and veggies, you can try foraging cups, blending, glider igloos, variety, frozen, steamed, raw, serve less nectar mix, blend mix with f/v, leave it in chunks, keep it whole, etc. Just like you wanna have fun with your food they do to, the same old same old doesn't make you hungry.

My girls hate banana's but if I slightly peel it and hang it up in their cage whole they get all pumped about it and glide onto it, chew on it, and peel it open.
Back to top Go down
http://www.viciousencounters.etsy.com
viciousencounters
viciousencounters

PostSubject: Re: Fruits and veggies...   Fruits and veggies... EmptyWed May 30, 2012 6:42 pm

Citrus makes their poo runny but that is in large amounts. Green beans rule here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.viciousencounters.etsy.com
freckles
Glider
Glider
freckles

PostSubject: Re: Fruits and veggies...   Fruits and veggies... EmptyWed May 30, 2012 7:01 pm

Thank you VE..
I have been trying to give them at least 2 options for fruit and veggie every night, along with the blended protein staple the breeder gave me (she calls it leadbeaters but it seems slightly different make up ingredient wise) I know I dont like to eat the same things every day so I assumed they didnt either...(well except for my green smoothies..I can have that for breakfast every day lol)

Back to top Go down
AnGeLEyZK
Still IP
AnGeLEyZK

PostSubject: Re: Fruits and veggies...   Fruits and veggies... EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 10:02 am

in regards to fruit...i know from day one i was told to give them a apple every day which later was told that was false information, but i ran into this girl who is becoming a vet for exotics and she told me with the amount of fruit ive given my sugies over the past 2 years that they might be diabetic, anyone have this issue? i plan on taking them in soon for some lab work and to just have a check-up as well...
Back to top Go down
TJones09
Face Hugger
Face Hugger
TJones09

PostSubject: Re: Fruits and veggies...   Fruits and veggies... EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 2:57 pm

Mine actually prefer frozen, this can be bought frozen or fresh then frozen. For some reason they like fruit & vegetable best after they're thawed & not fresh.

I like to buy the frozen mixed berries also, I make smoothies with them & vanilla soy milk, very tasty. I also share them in some blends with my girls, lol.

My girls do tend to prefer melons & that type over berries, but I like to give them a variety and mix it up. On occasions I'll throw in some apple, nectarines, or even pitted cherry's (not bing, the kind that looks like little gala apples). I've never fed them citric, although I know they say you can serve in moderation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fruits and veggies...   Fruits and veggies... Empty

Back to top Go down

Fruits and veggies...
Page 1 of 1