Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to get real information about Sugar Gliders without the Sugar Coating.

HomeVisit our website!GallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inJoin us in Chat!

Choosing a Breeder

Go down 
+3
StellaAnLuna
clk666
Kozi
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Kozi
Admin
Admin
Kozi

Choosing a Breeder Empty
PostSubject: Choosing a Breeder   Choosing a Breeder EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 2:37 am

So you've decided to add a sugar glider to your family? Since we're here to help you, here are some tips about selecting your breeder!

Having a USDA license does NOT mean they are a good breeder. (Many mill breeders are licensed!)
Ask for and check references. Don't be shy! Ask around on the different glider forums or even glider facebook pages about which ever breeder you are considering.

What are some signs of a good breeder?
A good breeder will let you see their "facilities" and the parents of the glider you are wanting. Check to see their facility is clean, that the cages are of sufficient size and that the gliders have toys and wheels in their cages.

Ask them about diet. What they feed the parents and what the joeys will be weened onto. A good breeder will have their gliders on an approved diet. A good breeder also won't 'require' you to use their diet. You should take time to wean the joeys off of it if you chose to, but you should be free to choose your own diet.

Ask them at what age they separate the joeys from the parents. (They should be no younger than 8 weeks out of pouch before being separated from the parents.) Ask them how they determine the age of the joeys. If it's from their actual birth date or from their OOP(out of pouch) date. (It's normal for a breeder to keep the joeys anywhere from 8 weeks up until 12 weeks, so don't be suprised if you don't get to take them home right at 8 weeks.)

Ask them about after sale support. A good breeder should be willing to answer questions before, during and after the adoption process, usually throughout the life of your suggie. We personally are happy to offer support, advice and answers to any questions whether people choose to adopt from us or not, we just want people to be as informed about sugar gliders as they can so their sugar glider can live a safe and happy life.

Ask them to see their vet records for the parents, joeys or other gliders and for a vet reference.

Ask if the gliders are related and if the breeder has a family tree on them. (Also known as 'lineage'.) You want to avoid inbred gliders as they could have genetic medical issues. This is mainly and especially important for colored gliders, their lineage should go a decent ways back depending on the indivindual lineage. Grays usually don't have as much lineage, but at least one generation or possibly two back should be known.

Look at the glider itself. Their fur should be fluffy and soft/silky. They should be bright eyed and alert. They should not be hand shy or afraid but friendly and social. (Both the parents and the joeys.)

A good breeder should be comfortable with questions. Tons of questions - which you should be asking. Any annoyance or hesitation on the breeder's part is cause for question. A good breeder will want the reassurance their glider(s) are going to the perfect home. If the breeder seems like they would sell to anyone with money, be cautious.

Also, it's very important to ask WHERE they got their gliders. A good breeder will start spouting off where they got each, lines they're from, etc. If they hesitate or say they got them in the paper or from just some person, you can't be sure there's not any inbreeding/defects in the line, plus it's a HUGE sign of an irresponsible breeder.

Any rescuer or breeder should be as interested in you as you are in them! They want to know where their babies are going!

So don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions because a good breeder will not only welcome the questions, but reciprocate with many of their own.
Back to top Go down
http://kozigliders.com
clk666
Face Hugger
Face Hugger
clk666

Choosing a Breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Choosing a Breeder   Choosing a Breeder EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 1:19 pm

great advice!
Back to top Go down
StellaAnLuna
StellaAnLuna

Choosing a Breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Choosing a Breeder   Choosing a Breeder EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 11:59 am

That was very helpful! Great info!Smile

~Erica~
Back to top Go down
vegasugar
Joey
Joey
vegasugar

Choosing a Breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Choosing a Breeder   Choosing a Breeder EmptyMon May 07, 2012 9:43 pm

thanks for this info!
Back to top Go down
freckles
Glider
Glider
freckles

Choosing a Breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Choosing a Breeder   Choosing a Breeder EmptyTue May 08, 2012 8:56 am

great info!!
Back to top Go down
DeeBubbles
Newly OOP
Newly OOP
DeeBubbles

Choosing a Breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Choosing a Breeder   Choosing a Breeder EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 10:52 pm

Okay, I found a promising-looking breeder really close to me called "Highland Sugar Gliders". They claim to be the "only USDA-approved breeder in Virginia" on their website. It's all pretty and organized and has pictures of all their current joeys and glider parents. However, when I asked them if I could come visit their gliders to decide if I wanted to purchase one or not, they responded:

"Our available joeys are listed here: http://www.highlandsugargliders.com/Our_Joeys.html. If you see a joey that you like a 25% non-refundable deposit will hold him or her for you until weaning. If you decide to purchase a joey with us you are more than welcome to visit with your joey and start the bonding process. But I apologize, we are not open an open facility for biosecurity reasons."

I then told them I wouldn't buy from them if I couldn't at least SEE the gliders, and they responded with this:

"I understand your concerns. Virginia is rampant right now with joeys with a contagious disease known as ick. Pocket Pets has been selling these sick joeys and some of the small breeders in the state are having to deal with it in their breeding operations. I understand your frustration, really I do. But biosecurity is something that is practiced by many if not all legitimate breeders of valuable breeder quality animals. Just try to visit any rare breed poultry farm and I'm sure you will be given less opportunity to visit than I offer. I'm not a pet store. Thank you for understanding."

Could this have any truth in it? -I almost feel like reporting them to the SPCA or something!! It sounds awfully like a mill to me!! What should I do?
Back to top Go down
http://sillyoldbear333@gmail.com
viciousencounters
viciousencounters

Choosing a Breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Choosing a Breeder   Choosing a Breeder EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 8:48 pm

Didn't know a lot of this, thank you!
Back to top Go down
http://www.viciousencounters.etsy.com
Kozi
Admin
Admin
Kozi

Choosing a Breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Choosing a Breeder   Choosing a Breeder EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 6:12 pm

This is definitely true, Dee, as 'cold' as it may sound.

Most breeders I know don't let just anyone come see gliders to make a decisison. Unfortunately all kinds of bacteria or lord knows what could be carried in and then their gliders would be exposed to it. She is also right about the 'ick'. Some breeders have come up with joeys with this problem and most other breeders, at that point, promptly suggested no gliders leave or enter those homes for the safety of the community until it was handled/taken care of/resolved. (Unfortunately, A: not everyone was honest about if their gliders had it or not and sent some home anyway once it 'looked' cleared up, because it shows as a joey and then they tend to LOOK healthy as adults and B: they weren't all keeping to that rule about no incoming/outgoing either way, possibly spreading it further.)

Depending on how serious someone is, if they fill out the application, etc.. Talking to them enough I think you can get a feel for them to know if they're serious enough or not.. But otherwise I agree, I don't let every person who asks come to visit, either. I'd have a zoo if I did, people ask me ALL the time if they can just come see what a glider is, meet the parents, etc.. And while I'd love for it to happen it's a pretty big risk to let every single person who asks in, especially when you're a somewhat bigger breeder(which I'm not).

I hope I helped somewhat. x_x

You could ask for photos of their glider room/area if you're concerned it's in bad condition or some such, that would show you they are being well cared for without you having to go to their home or them risking you coming in with any outside bacteria, etc.
Back to top Go down
http://kozigliders.com
Sponsored content

Choosing a Breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Choosing a Breeder   Choosing a Breeder Empty

Back to top Go down

Choosing a Breeder
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA :: Sugar Gliders :: Buyer Beware-
Jump to: