Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to get real information about Sugar Gliders without the Sugar Coating.

HomeVisit our website!GallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inJoin us in Chat!

Grammar Rule!

Go down 
+6
StellaAnLuna
Kozi
shadow
Countryncrafty
JazzNZoeysmom
khigh
10 posters
AuthorMessage
khigh
Admin
Admin
khigh

Grammar Rule! Empty
PostSubject: Grammar Rule!   Grammar Rule! EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 9:37 pm

There is a grammar rule on this forum. Please use proper grammar and spelling. It is our only rule for now and to me one of the most important things for effective communication.
Back to top Go down
JazzNZoeysmom
Glider
Glider
JazzNZoeysmom

Grammar Rule! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammar Rule!   Grammar Rule! EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 9:41 pm

Good! I am currently being driven crazy on another forum by someone who doesn't use punctuation and amongst all the misspellings and horrible grammar, they use the word IN in place of the word AND. (Insert "hair pulling out" emoticon here!)
Back to top Go down
Countryncrafty
Countryncrafty

Grammar Rule! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammar Rule!   Grammar Rule! EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 9:23 pm

Thank you! However, I do have a question-words such as "fixin to" and "ya'll" aren't gramatically correct, but can they still be allowed? I'm Texan so it's natural lol.
Back to top Go down
http://cncglidersngoods.com/
shadow
Admin
Admin
shadow

Grammar Rule! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammar Rule!   Grammar Rule! EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 9:39 pm

Countryncrafty wrote:
Thank you! However, I do have a question-words such as "fixin to" and "ya'll" aren't gramatically correct, but can they still be allowed? I'm Texan so it's natural lol.

you dont have to be perfect like your in english class but just make it readable. thats the important part. if everyone is hurting their brain reading your posts then nobody is having fun or getting any use out of the post. i highly recommend people use the spell checking thing for the browser. i have no idea what i would do with out it lol XD
i think you will be fine using those words Smile
Back to top Go down
Kozi
Admin
Admin
Kozi

Grammar Rule! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammar Rule!   Grammar Rule! EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 9:44 pm

Countryncrafty wrote:

I'd wait for K's 'OK' but I think it would be alright, honestly. I mean, it's 'slang', but people use all sorts of slang. I say 'freakin', instead of blatantly swearing, most of the time. xD That isn't a real word either but it's better than the other version, so.. >>; I think she means more like.. some of the posts that come up on some forums and it's just.. x_x So painful to look at, muchless read.. Let me try to find an example!

I'll use bits and pieces.

Quote :
i dont think the ppl even tryed
Quote :
orly r u sure u can do that.i dont kno if dat workz?but k

Ok uh.. x_x; That's all I got for now. It's harder than it looks, I guess. LOL

I'll talk to K about posting some examples of do's/don'ts or that type of thing, perhaps? Surprised Anyone have any suggestions of things that may make good examples?
Back to top Go down
http://kozigliders.com
shadow
Admin
Admin
shadow

Grammar Rule! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammar Rule!   Grammar Rule! EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 9:47 pm

try not to make huge blocks of text. use paragraphs even if its not done correctly just separate stuff a bit so its easier to read.
Back to top Go down
StellaAnLuna
StellaAnLuna

Grammar Rule! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammar Rule!   Grammar Rule! EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 10:56 pm

LOVE this thread!

I may not be good at proper spelling at everything but I have microsoft word open so a word I dont know how to spell I spell on there and it corrects me.

I hate when people spell like:

"Diz iz wat ur supozed 2 do"

"Watz da name of tat glider"

I can really go on, but dont really want to to tired and bad day.

This is a forum were people come to learn and get info, and if we spell like I did above, they will think we know nothing.

I can understand shorting words like:

"QT-Quarantine"

But how I wrote the above bugs the crap out of me.

~Erica~
Back to top Go down
JazzNZoeysmom
Glider
Glider
JazzNZoeysmom

Grammar Rule! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammar Rule!   Grammar Rule! EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 11:18 pm

Oh someone on GG is doing that stuff. Any of you that frequent there probably know who I'm talking about. I have to avoid her posts because like you guys mention, they hurt my head. NO punctuation, no seperating anything so it's a huge page of a bunch of words that run together, are misspelled and flat out mis-used!

I have to avoid her posts because I'm trying really hard not to be rude. Others have already asked her to correct the issue but it just keeps going.

I know she is new and is asking for help but I just can't do it.
Back to top Go down
SecretSquirrel
SecretSquirrel

Grammar Rule! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammar Rule!   Grammar Rule! EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 12:34 pm

I can almost handle the posts with the horrible grammar and punctuation better than I can the ones that are in all CAPS. I hate[i] when people do that, it takes all of a second to correct the problem. If you guys want to see some horrible posts check out people posting that they want Sugar Gliders on Craigslist.
Back to top Go down
brit9211
Newly OOP
Newly OOP
brit9211

Grammar Rule! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammar Rule!   Grammar Rule! EmptyWed May 02, 2012 1:19 am

Finally a forum where I will be able to read and understand what people say the first time and not have to sit there reading it over and over again trying to figure out what they fricken said lol Smile
Back to top Go down
Kozi
Admin
Admin
Kozi

Grammar Rule! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammar Rule!   Grammar Rule! EmptyWed May 02, 2012 4:17 am

brit9211 wrote:
Finally a forum where I will be able to read and understand what people say the first time and not have to sit there reading it over and over again trying to figure out what they fricken said lol Smile

LOL! So well said! xD
Back to top Go down
http://kozigliders.com
StellaAnLuna
StellaAnLuna

Grammar Rule! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammar Rule!   Grammar Rule! EmptyWed May 02, 2012 5:43 am

LOL!!!! I have to agree, so well said.Smile
Back to top Go down
Noone145
Glider
Glider
Noone145

Grammar Rule! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammar Rule!   Grammar Rule! EmptySat May 05, 2012 8:06 pm

JazzNZoeysmom wrote:
Good! I am currently being driven crazy on another forum by someone who doesn't use punctuation and amongst all the misspellings and horrible grammar, they use the word IN in place of the word AND. (Insert "hair pulling out" emoticon here!)
Haha, I think know which forum and that drives me absolutely crazy too!
Back to top Go down
dichroic
Still IP
dichroic

Grammar Rule! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammar Rule!   Grammar Rule! EmptyWed May 09, 2012 8:05 pm

What if someone has a disability that prevents them from being able to use proper grammar, punctuation and spelling? Like someone with dyslexia or a literacy-based learning disability? I've never seen a forum discriminate against a group of people like this before. Sad
Back to top Go down
shadow
Admin
Admin
shadow

Grammar Rule! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammar Rule!   Grammar Rule! EmptyWed May 09, 2012 9:46 pm

the rule is there to discourage net/text speak. we can tell if it's intentional or just accidental. its not a strict rule we are not going to just suddenly ban someone for it, we will message them and discuss it with them. people dont have to write perfectly or like they are in english class but we need to at least be able to understand it and read it easily. we are not discriminating against people with disabilities just people who like to talk in text speak or just dont want to write understandably. if someone does have a learning disability they can always contact khigh and talk to her about it. maybe the rule can be looked at again when someone joins that has a bad learning disability that causes them to write so badly that its hard to read. this is a new forum only like a month old so we are just doing things as we go.
khigh is the one who made the rule and owns the forum so you would have to as her about it. Grammar Rule! 2557410910
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Grammar Rule! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammar Rule!   Grammar Rule! Empty

Back to top Go down

Grammar Rule!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA :: Sugar Gliders :: Welcome to SGAA!-
Jump to: