Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to get real information about Sugar Gliders without the Sugar Coating.

HomeVisit our website!GallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inJoin us in Chat!

Dental Extraction.

Go down 
+2
StellaAnLuna
lovekelc
6 posters
AuthorMessage
lovekelc
Super Glider
Super Glider
lovekelc

Dental Extraction.  Empty
PostSubject: Dental Extraction.    Dental Extraction.  EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 1:12 am

Update on Momo's dental extractions:

Everything came out great, no complications and the vet said all of her other teeth are fine. She said that she was born with bad incisors, they came in the wrong way, which was causing some pain to her.

The vet said to feed her 1/4th of what she usually eats tonight and to continue her with soft foods. I have 14 days of antibiotics for her and three days of pain medication.

So far she has drank water and had some baby food with her suggie soup. She is doing great, and I am very relieved! Smile

Back to top Go down
StellaAnLuna
StellaAnLuna

PostSubject: Re: Dental Extraction.    Dental Extraction.  EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 1:42 pm

Glad it went well!<3
Back to top Go down
viciousencounters
viciousencounters

PostSubject: Re: Dental Extraction.    Dental Extraction.  EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 3:07 pm

I hope she feels better!
Back to top Go down
http://www.viciousencounters.etsy.com
lovekelc
Super Glider
Super Glider
lovekelc

PostSubject: Re: Dental Extraction.    Dental Extraction.  EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 12:47 am

Thanks everyone! She is doing great! Her mood seems to be so much happier, my vet called today asking how she was. I feel good about everything that happened with my vet and how she is doing. Smile
Back to top Go down
BrandyF
BrandyF

PostSubject: Re: Dental Extraction.    Dental Extraction.  EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 12:38 pm

That's great! I'm glad to hear it all went well and it sounds like you have a great vet.
Back to top Go down
http://brandyscreativeramblings.blogspot.com
lovekelc
Super Glider
Super Glider
lovekelc

PostSubject: Re: Dental Extraction.    Dental Extraction.  EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 6:41 pm

It was my vets first time doing this procedure on a sugar glider. She has been a great vet, to all my little ones! Smile
Back to top Go down
LSardou
Admin
Admin
LSardou

PostSubject: Re: Dental Extraction.    Dental Extraction.  EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 12:29 am

I'm facing the possibility of one of my babies lower incisors having to be removed. I'm worried in the fact that the risk of fracturing his jaw.

We have been working diligently towards not having to take that route, however, he is still having major gum issues.

I'm happy to hear that your little one is doing great!
Back to top Go down
http://www.millbreederproject.com
lovekelc
Super Glider
Super Glider
lovekelc

PostSubject: Re: Dental Extraction.    Dental Extraction.  EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 5:12 pm

Thank you LSardou.

I hope everything goes well for your little guy, I know that the choice of taking her bottom teeth out was for the best of her health and happiness.

She is doing so great, we're going to have here get checked out by the vet in one more week. Smile
Back to top Go down
LSardou
Admin
Admin
LSardou

PostSubject: Re: Dental Extraction.    Dental Extraction.  EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 6:34 pm

Thank you, Kelsey. I will be anxious to hear how your little fella made out! I'm bringing Choco up to Manhatten Vet Hospital to be seen by Dr. Carpenter next week for an evaluation. He's considered the top sugar glider knowledgeable vet in the US.
Back to top Go down
lovekelc
Super Glider
Super Glider
lovekelc

PostSubject: Re: Dental Extraction.    Dental Extraction.  EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 1:20 am

Wow that is great you are headed to such a great vet! Please share what happens with your Choco, I would be interested to hear what they have to say about him. I hope everything goes well, you are definitely in great hands.

I was such a wreck all day when my Momo had her dental extractions, since it was my vets first time doing this. When I got that call that she was doing well recovering I was so relieved, I am so thankful everything went well.
Back to top Go down
LSardou
Admin
Admin
LSardou

PostSubject: Re: Dental Extraction.    Dental Extraction.  EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 7:29 pm

Update. Just thought I'd let you know, Kelsey that I will be taking Choco in on Monday morning to have his two lower incisors removed.

I'm a nervous wreck! Please pray that all goes well for him.

I will let you know how it all goes.
Back to top Go down
lovekelc
Super Glider
Super Glider
lovekelc

PostSubject: Re: Dental Extraction.    Dental Extraction.  EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 1:58 am

I can't wait to hear the update, I will pray for Choco! Smile

I am sure everything will go well just as it did for Momo. She is doing great nowadays, I just need to make her food super mini so she can eat easily. Hope all goes well!
Back to top Go down
LSardou
Admin
Admin
LSardou

PostSubject: Re: Dental Extraction.    Dental Extraction.  EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 1:11 am

After a long battle with Choco's periodontal disease, we finally had to resort to the last choice in having Choco's two lower incisors removed today.

For the past 3 years we have been battling with this disease. Antibiotics, monthly teeth cleaning, daily mouth wash/rinses, brushing, and diet changes. For every attempt made, it seemed as though Choco would take 10 steps backwards. In March of this year, he had started loosing weight, and the flare ups were becoming more and more frequent. He has been to see the best vets around. Dr. James Carpenter, and Dr. Teresa Bradley both have exhausted their efforts in trying to not have to pull.

Today was one of the most difficult days ever. I took Choco in at 8 am this morning for extractions. After almost an hour Dr. Bradley came out to inform me that Choco's teeth were fused to the bone, so they could not be pulled.

During the attempt both teeth broke off at the root, which was not good. She gave me two choices on what to do at that point. Since the roots were fully exposed, there was no choice but to either euthanize him or cut his jaw bone out to remove the teeth. She told me that his recovery process would be a long and difficult one. It was up to me.

I could not bare to even imagine having my precious baby put down so I chose the other. After another 2 hours in surgery, the procedure was complete. Choco is in a lot of pain, but he seems to be holding on with a great fight. He will need to be hand/syringe fed for the next two weeks hopefully after that time his jaw/mouth will be well under recovery.

A month ago, I brought both Sam & Choco up to Dr. Bradley in Missouri for examinations and full tests. At that time Dr. Bradley found a suspicious mass on Sams liver. She put him on medication in hopes that this would reduce the size. While there today, after finishing with Choco, she did another Ultrasound and another full panel blood work up on Sam. Sadly to say, his mass has not decreased in size. She put him on another medication and we will keep a close eye on him over the next couple of months.

I've had my babies for almost 7 years. They have been my pride and joy. Please keep them in your prayers.
Back to top Go down
shadow
Admin
Admin
shadow

PostSubject: Re: Dental Extraction.    Dental Extraction.  EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 4:50 pm

aww good luck and i hope everything goes well.

Back to top Go down
lovekelc
Super Glider
Super Glider
lovekelc

PostSubject: Re: Dental Extraction.    Dental Extraction.  EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 12:15 pm

I hope everything goes well with them too. Let us know how they all are and how Choco recovers, and I hope Sams mass starts to decrease in size.
Please keep us updated.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dental Extraction.    Dental Extraction.  Empty

Back to top Go down

Dental Extraction.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA :: Sugar Gliders :: Diet and Health-
Jump to: