Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to get real information about Sugar Gliders without the Sugar Coating.

HomeVisit our website!GallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inJoin us in Chat!

Hello again..and of course questions!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
freckles
Glider
Glider
freckles

Hello again..and of course questions! Empty
PostSubject: Hello again..and of course questions!   Hello again..and of course questions! EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi everyone!
Sorry I have been MIA..the summer was very busy for us, esp me with all 3 kids at home and trying to keep them entertained!

Kiwi and Tucker are doing well..I dont feel we have as much time to spend with them as I ha thought, which is frustrating and making the bonding process take a long time..esp with Kiwi who is still quite pouch defensive...and I have the wounded finger to prove it! In the tent they will crawl all over me and like to hang out on my back or under my shirt..but their favorite thing to do is use me as a human bathroom Hello again..and of course questions! 1542944006 little buggers. Is it normal for them to poop SOOOO much? Hello again..and of course questions! 2069935179

We moved them to a different part of the house because they were just a wee bit too noisy for the bedroom, and I was having some issues with odor. I don't know if I am doing something wrong, because I never read about anyone else having issues with this, but they were really stinking up the whole upstairs. I have tried cleaning more often..less often and not really finding any difference. So i was wondering what everyones cleaning routine is? I usually change the pan at least every few days, wiping it down with a damp cloth unless its really dirty then i take it to the sink and wash it with dish soap, and it has aspen shavings in it. The wheel gets a soak in hot water and vinegar and dish soap once a week. And I wipe down the cage once a week as well. Today I took the cage outside and used my steamer on it to give it its once a month deep clean, but even after that the cage itself is quite stinky. I am assuming this is partly scent marking, so I am trying not to OVER clean but I really need to figure out why you can smell them through out the house and not just when near the cage. Hello again..and of course questions! 1525859587

Any clue what I am doing / not doing right/ wrong?

Back to top Go down
TJones09
Face Hugger
Face Hugger
TJones09

PostSubject: Re: Hello again..and of course questions!   Hello again..and of course questions! EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 10:19 pm

I recommend first to get rid of the aspen bedding if that's what you are using. You can use newspaper, other paper product for liners or even fleece, or you can use no liner at all. (There are several options that are safe, maybe someone can list some more).

Second, when cleaning the cage, try doing half the cage at a time, say top/bottom half, or left side/right side. And alternate weekly. I use vinegar/water solution on a sponge and wipe down. I did switch to doing the whole cage one week and the furnishings the following. Most popular sleeping pouch is changed out weekly, drop pan is changed out and cleaned weekly, and wheel and play box & those toys inside is cleaned weekly. Everything I clean with vinegar/water which I keep in spray bottle and spray onto sponge for wiping down things, toys are either wiped down that way, or I will use dish soap, rinse and follow up v/w dip, then air dried. Fleece pouches, vines and the like are thrown into lingerie laundry bag (zippered) and tossed in washer along with the other fleece accessories s/a liners, which i'm now trying out, cage wrap, and the fleece wear my hubby & I wear for out of cage play.

We are used for bathroom also, lol. Although I find that in early morning play, they don't go as much.

Wish you lots of luck!
Back to top Go down
freckles
Glider
Glider
freckles

PostSubject: Re: Hello again..and of course questions!   Hello again..and of course questions! EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 10:35 pm

What is the problem with the aspen bedding? I had tried fleece but the little buggers kept pulling it up into the cage Smile

I will have to try early morning playtime...usually its evening when we take them in the tent and then have to shower after as we are both covered in pee..esp me...they are a little less inclined to hang out on my daughter lol
Back to top Go down
TJones09
Face Hugger
Face Hugger
TJones09

PostSubject: Re: Hello again..and of course questions!   Hello again..and of course questions! EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 11:07 pm

Well, it has been noted as safe, but I still has concerns if the gliders decide to try eating it. I'm not saying not to use it, just I recommend not. Other's have their own opinions.
Back to top Go down
JazzNZoeysmom
Glider
Glider
JazzNZoeysmom

PostSubject: Re: Hello again..and of course questions!   Hello again..and of course questions! EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 11:14 am

What kind of cage do you have?
Back to top Go down
freckles
Glider
Glider
freckles

PostSubject: Re: Hello again..and of course questions!   Hello again..and of course questions! EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 1:33 pm

Its black, but this is the one we got: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
LSardou
Admin
Admin
LSardou

PostSubject: Re: Hello again..and of course questions!   Hello again..and of course questions! EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 4:30 pm

Aspen is highly toxic to sugar gliders. If they ingest it, it can cause serious intestinal issues.

Do you have 2 males? If so, are they neutered? If not, it's common for male gliders to produce a stronger odor. Having them neutered will decrease the smell immensely.

When washing their cage, toys, and pouches. It helps to rotate washing times. Always try and keep a few items that are soiled in their cage. This helps cut down on the 'over marking'. The more you wash, the more they will mark to bring back their smell.

What diet are you feeding? A poor diet or one that lacks the proper nutrients can also play a huge part on the smell.
Back to top Go down
http://www.millbreederproject.com
JazzNZoeysmom
Glider
Glider
JazzNZoeysmom

PostSubject: Re: Hello again..and of course questions!   Hello again..and of course questions! EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 5:30 pm

Ok, thought it might be a homemade PVC. They have a tendency to hold odor. I had a hexagon cage that I had to clean in place because it wouldn't fit thru any doorways. No matter how often I wiped it down it still held odor. It wasn't until I disassembled it and hauled it outside for a good pressure washing that I fixed the problem.

Maybe you have some food, urine, ect. in the nooks and crannies where the bars are fuzed...?????

I'll let you answer Lindas' questions before I try to hypothesize anything else as they are all relivent and I was going to ask them as well. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
freckles
Glider
Glider
freckles

PostSubject: Re: Hello again..and of course questions!   Hello again..and of course questions! EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 5:45 pm

I do have 2 males but they are both neutered. Thanks on the aspen..it will be gone. I havent had an issue with them being able to rech it through the bars yet but I take no chances with my little guys!

I have been rotating...trying to put a new pouch in for a few days before I take one out to clean that sort of thing....

I feed them the diet the breeder uses. On a few days a week they get the leadbeaters mix a few days its these biscuits you soak in juice, and a few days its a meal of bee pollen and meal worms that she sells. I try to rotate as she instructed. Along with that I give them some fruits and veggies every night. Anything from peas, green beans, corn (not too often although they LOVE it) spinach and other greens, blueberries, papaya, cherries, strawberries, cucumber, red grapes, raisins, carrots, sweet potato, apple, and occasionally a grape tomato or 2..they LOVE them but I was warned they may be too acidic so I dont give them too often. They also get yogies every day, some vanilla yogurt on occasion, and I have some acacia gum you mix with water? but I dont think they like that much.
I do have a dry food she sells that I leave a bit in the cage at all times, but they don't touch it much.

I am totally open to a new diet..was thinking of the suggie soup VE sells...
My breeder lives a mile from me so it was so easy as I got started to just get supplies from her, but what i REALLY want is for my little guys to be the healthiest and happiest they can be. and hopefully get a handle on the smell issue...it just seems a LOT stronger than it should be, she told me that you shouldnt be able to smell them when you walk into their room but man you can!

I was thinking it was stuff stuck in the cracks of the bars as well..so I used the steamer on it yesterday...and even after steaming it the cage itself still smells. Its almost a fishy type smell..which I do not understand at all!
Back to top Go down
freckles
Glider
Glider
freckles

PostSubject: Re: Hello again..and of course questions!   Hello again..and of course questions! EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 5:47 pm

oh almost forgot..i also have a calcium dust that I sprinkle on their food occasionally.
Back to top Go down
JazzNZoeysmom
Glider
Glider
JazzNZoeysmom

PostSubject: Re: Hello again..and of course questions!   Hello again..and of course questions! EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 4:25 pm

I would definately check out a new type of diet. Many feed the recognized ones. I personally offer mine a variety of Protein in the form of eggs, chicken, turkey, or shrimp on occassion. Then they get a variety of F/V every night. They get yogurt, shredded cheese on their salads for calcium sources. I'm not a big fan of the sprinkling on of vitamins cuz I'm afraid I'll OD them. I try to offer a wide variety of foods so they get the nutrition they need that way.

I hate to say it but I really think if you power washed your cage, or if you can fit it into your shower that may work also, but I think you'll find that will eliminate the smell. I seriously had the same issue with my hex...I know the smell you are referring to but after I powerwashed it, it was nice and fresh.
Back to top Go down
freckles
Glider
Glider
freckles

PostSubject: Re: Hello again..and of course questions!   Hello again..and of course questions! EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 6:32 pm

I was logging in to come and say I think I am going to change diet too...I did some looking online and I think the stuff the breeder is selling is from the Exotic Nutrition people...so thinking I will switch to the suggie soup..it seems simple enough...

Feeding them things like turkey and chicken would not work for this family of vegetarians Smile tho...

We are going on vacation soon (they will be vacationing at the breeders for the week...) and I think I will ask the husband to power wash the cage for me, see if that helps. It is better since i used the steamer, but still pretty strong.
I do love those little stinkers oh so much! I was so upset the other night...we moved the cage downstairs..they had been living in the bedroom..but between the smell and them just being active at night I was having a hard time sleeping. Well the poor things barked all night long Sad I kept running downstairs to reassure them but I felt so bad Sad I didnt realize they enjoyed being in the room with me while I slept so much!
Back to top Go down
freckles
Glider
Glider
freckles

PostSubject: Re: Hello again..and of course questions!   Hello again..and of course questions! EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 6:34 pm

oh you say you give them cheese...any particular kind? What about cottage cheese? DH buys it with fruit in it and I have wondered if they would like it.

and does anyone know if any beans other than green are ok? like chickpeas or kidney or black beans? I know lima are a no, but have wondered about the others, we eat a lot of beans and grains, but have never dared give them any..just wondering if it is ok or not!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello again..and of course questions!   Hello again..and of course questions! Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello again..and of course questions!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA :: Sugar Gliders :: General Stuffs-
Jump to: