Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to get real information about Sugar Gliders without the Sugar Coating.

HomeVisit our website!GallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inJoin us in Chat!

Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rchurch
Glider
Glider
Rchurch

Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide) Empty
PostSubject: Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide)   Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide) EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 10:11 am

You really can find toy making parts just about EVERYWHERE! For example, check out my recent trip to the grocery store:

Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide) 2012-07-28_08-35-29_1
Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide) 2012-07-28_08-35-13_305
Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide) 2012-07-28_08-36-00_105

The first thing you need to do is be aware of the time of year. Summer yields some of the BEST finds as far as plastic ware goes. I suppose it's all those picnics. Smile

But suppose you're not going for an impulse buy. You've got a mission and a checklist and you're strapped for time. Well, no worries. Here is a list of where you can find some popular toy parts at your local stores, about what aisle to hunt for them, and who, in my opinion, has the best deals.

Bracelets
Where found: In the party favor aisle of just about any store, usually located near the gift wrap supplies
Stores: Party City (most expensive), Dollar Store/Tree, Michael's, Walmart, Hobby Lobby
My fav: Walmart. I find they have the most consistent variety. Dollar Store/Tree is also great but you're taking a gamble that the stock will be there the next time you return.
(*I've not had a whole lot of luck at Target. Either they are sold out, or just don't carry them in stock)

Foraging Cups

Well here, we should break for 2 different categories. There are the plastic shot glass type, like this ones attached to this swing toy here:

Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide) DSCN3631

These you can find: your local grocery store, usually near the cocktail mixes
Stores: Party City (most expensive), Dollar Store/Tree, Walmart
My fav: Kroger & Publix, two local grocery stores near me.

And then there's the MINI PLASTIC MUG style of foraging cups, like these:

Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide) 2012-07-30_13-10-10_977

These are much harder to find and really, I've only had luck finding them at one place and that's Party City. The colors seem to vary depending on the time of year. You'll find the yellow ones around Octoberfest, green around St. Pattys, blue and red around the Fourth of July. If you have your heart SET on these, and you can't find them, I suggest going on line.

Plastic Storage Totes:

Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide) 2012-04-08_20-25-02_975

Where found: Usually near the office/desk organizer areas
Stores: Target, Office Depot/Staples, Hobby Lobby, your local grocery store (sometimes), Goodwill
My fav: Target, and be sure to check the bargain bins up front FIRST. Often you can find these at 2 for $1. If you don't see them that day, check back and check often. Their stock moves FAST!

Pony Beads:

Where found: the arts & crafts section of different stores, sometimes in the toy department
Stores: Walmart (cheapest), Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Joann's Etc
My fav: This is going to be a tie between Hobby Lobby & Joann's because while quite often Hobby Lobby has a Buy One/Get One sale that allows me to truly rake in the savings with those big tubs, Joann's on the other hand has some GREAT NOVELTY BEADS, such as the pink collection of heart beads you find here. I've seen other heart beads in other stores, but they don't quite have that lovely, girly pink in various colors like I love here. Are you a sports fan? They also have baseball beads, football beads, basketball. They've got flower beads, too. Hobby Lobby has a wide variety of beads as well, but those are generally made of glass.

C-Clips aka Learning Links:

Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide) 3

I've only ever had luck finding these in school supply stores, such as: The School Box
Otherwise, these can be found on link. A popular brand is called Link N Learn Links and go for about $17 for 500. If you find them cheaper elsewhere, please post where!!!

Cat bells:

Where found: pet aisle/cat aisle
Stores: PetCo/Smart, Walmart, Grocery Stores
My fav: Walmart. These have a wider openings that are perfect for clipping on C clips. I haven't been able to find this brand anywhere other than Walmart. The ones they sell at petstores are great but they have tiny holes. And please, as always, check to make absolutely certain there is no catnip inside!!!

Craftlace:

Where found: arts & crafts aisle, usually with the beads
Stores: Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Joann's, Walmart
My fav: Hobby Lobby and I use Rexlace. It's not only a very popular brand but right there on the label it says "non-toxic". There are other brands, too, but I am wary of using anything that does not specify it as non-toxic. I imagine it would be safe, but if it doesn't say, there's a chance that it isn't--and I am not a chance-taker.

Back to top Go down
Rchurch
Glider
Glider
Rchurch

PostSubject: Re: Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide)   Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide) EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 10:16 am

For online shopping and a sort of "one stop shop", check out my favorite, Gliders and Gear: http://www.glidersandgear.com/TOY%20PARTS.htm

(They've got everything but the swing--unless you use the rubber floor toy as the swing part.)

Back to top Go down
BrandyF
BrandyF

PostSubject: Re: Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide)   Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide) EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 12:14 pm

You can also find the plastic baskets at Dollar General or Family Dollar. Make sure to check the quality as they have thinner ones all the time and the better thicker plastic ones around Summer time.

http://www.ustoy.com/ - Another great source for toy supplies online. The best part is they offer free shipping and have lots of unique items.
Back to top Go down
http://brandyscreativeramblings.blogspot.com
BrandyF
BrandyF

PostSubject: Re: Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide)   Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide) EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 12:18 pm

http://www.ustoy.com/mini-mugs - Here is an assortment of the mini mugs. They are $4.49/dozen. They also have Smiley Face mugs and Halloween ones.
Back to top Go down
http://brandyscreativeramblings.blogspot.com
Rchurch
Glider
Glider
Rchurch

PostSubject: Re: Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide)   Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide) EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 12:24 pm

Woo! THIS is what I'm talking about! Swapping ideas of best places to shop! Smile I haven't been to Dollar General or Family Dollar in FOREVER. Now, I've got a reason to go!

I am loving the link you posted, too! Thank you!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rchurch
Glider
Glider
Rchurch

PostSubject: Re: Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide)   Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide) EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 12:34 pm

I haven't ordered from them yet but I found this site to have the cheapest pony beads anywhere:

http://www.ssww.com/item/opaque-pony-beads-xmm-BE9000/cmc=GRDCMBJWL/grp=CMB/sbgrp=JWL/

Also check out this link:

http://www.ssww.com/store/browse/grp=CMB/sbgrp=JWL/ln=PLC/fp=BE1222/sort=sales/va=1/
Back to top Go down
TJones09
Face Hugger
Face Hugger
TJones09

PostSubject: Re: Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide)   Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide) EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 3:21 pm

Hey, I just found this thread! Very informative RC, I like how you laid out the whats & wheres.

Btw, those cat balls, like on your toy with the big slits in them, I found some at the grocery store a couple of days ago. I like that the bell inside is plastic also as well as the big slits. So I added a couple to their play bin and so far a couple on a "make-over toy" I have a few left, I may use 1 or 2 more in toy making & the other 2 or 3 in the play bin.
Back to top Go down
Rchurch
Glider
Glider
Rchurch

PostSubject: Re: Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide)   Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide) EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 3:31 pm

Good to know, TJ! I'll have to scour the pet section of my grocer. Smile Hopefully, I'll get lucky!
Back to top Go down
Skyfire4me
Glider
Glider
Skyfire4me

PostSubject: Re: Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide)   Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide) EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 4:58 pm

Back to top Go down
Rchurch
Glider
Glider
Rchurch

PostSubject: Re: Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide)   Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide) EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 5:25 pm

Wowza! Thanks for the heads up!
Back to top Go down
Skyfire4me
Glider
Glider
Skyfire4me

PostSubject: Re: Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide)   Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide) EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 7:09 am

lol yeah I got enough rexlace to last me forever! Unless of course I get more gliders... which of course need their own toys.... so I gotto make them even is I do have a ton just sitting there and not in the other glider cages!

Yeah thats a great excuse!
Back to top Go down
Rchurch
Glider
Glider
Rchurch

PostSubject: Re: Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide)   Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide) EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 8:19 am

Let me just say this...if you're even thinking about getting new gliders? Make new toys and put them away in a box. I say this because we're having to double wash and triple sanitize the toys Batman & Catwoman have and while they have TONS and TONS of toys, it takes time to realize which ones you wanna use and then sanitize the crap out of it. (NOT that I think anybody is sick but just because I believe in the "better safe than sorry" rule.)

I now have two piles of toys, one next to each cage. If I were a little more prepared, I'd have toys at the ready. Just something to think about. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide)   Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide) Empty

Back to top Go down

Where to Find Toy Making Parts (a general guide)
Page 1 of 1