Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to get real information about Sugar Gliders without the Sugar Coating.

HomeVisit our website!GallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inJoin us in Chat!

Depresson

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
icuspeak
Newly OOP
Newly OOP
icuspeak

Depresson Empty
PostSubject: Depresson   Depresson EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 7:18 am

Gonna try to make a long story short. I had two males and one female. My two boys are fixed but even though they are fixed I still had to seperate them when my female was in heat due to mateing wounds. They have been together I would say for atleast four months now so I would say they are bonded with each other. Well I decided that I was going to get another female sugar glider, cause I did feel bad seperating them epsecially when she looks up at me and says "mom what did I do wrong"? I have done the ontros with the girls successfully and they are together but I guess my question is, is it going to effect them? I have notice one of my boys are barking more and I presuming it's bacause he is calling for her. She seems to be barking more also. Would they get depressed from being seperated like that after they been together for so long? They are still in the same room just opposite sides of the wall from each other. The only other thing I could do is do intros with the boys on my other female then put them together then seperate the girls from my boys when they go into heat. So what do yall think? It sure makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Thank You for the advice in advance. Depresson 2557410910
Back to top Go down
Rchurch
Glider
Glider
Rchurch

Depresson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depresson   Depresson EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 8:11 am

I wouldn't necessarily say barking means they are depressed. I think they are just talking to each other? My girl, for instance, barks when she is happy.
Back to top Go down
mobilewasher
Still IP
mobilewasher

Depresson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depresson   Depresson EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 9:09 am

mine bark all the time and they are all in the same cage. sometimes I think they are trying to get me out there since if I come out and talk to them for a few minutes they will stop and be quiet the rest of the night.
Back to top Go down
icuspeak
Newly OOP
Newly OOP
icuspeak

Depresson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depresson   Depresson EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 9:14 am

ok. what I am trying to say it's not the barking. I know they bark for alot of reasons. I had that one female in with the two males, only seperated her when she was in heat then put her back with the boys but now since I have another female and she is with her instead of the boys could it effect either one of them since they have been together for atleast four months before my other female came to me.
Back to top Go down
Rchurch
Glider
Glider
Rchurch

Depresson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depresson   Depresson EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 5:46 pm

I don't hear any signs of depression. Lots of people have separate colonies. I don't think that would be a problem. The boys have each other & the girls have each other.

Do they exhibit any other signs that indicate they might be depressed?
Back to top Go down
shadow
Admin
Admin
shadow

Depresson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depresson   Depresson EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 6:52 pm

just keep an eye on them. make sure they are eating and drinking enough and are acting normal. i wonder if it would be possible to do out of cage time together. i know its bad to do play dates but that is with single gliders not sure if it would have the same effects on gliders who already have a cage mate.
how long have the 2 females been together? maybe it just takes time for them to get used to it. if you asked glider owners who have multiple cages they will probably tell you their gliders bark a lot and talk to each other lol.
Back to top Go down
viciousencounters
viciousencounters

Depresson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depresson   Depresson EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 8:36 pm

Yes they can grow depressed from separation but the barking is normal anyway. There are other noises they make when they are calling out to their friends.

It is just fine to keep all 4 together, you did good by getting another female because that evens the sexes out. The girls can gang up on the boys together if they are being to rough. Just make sure that if you put the two colonies together you put them together in a big cage [approx. 5'x3'x2'], enough for them all to spread their gliding membranes Razz Make sure you keep 3-4 pouches in the cage at all times, this is in case the girls wanna be alone for a while during their cycle or a fight breaks out. If the boys are pretty rough during the girls heats then separate them for the 2-3 days and then just put the girls back in with the boys.

Back to top Go down
http://www.viciousencounters.etsy.com
icuspeak
Newly OOP
Newly OOP
icuspeak

Depresson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depresson   Depresson EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 10:29 am

Just an update since the last time I posted this. My four furbutts are together. I did what ya'll recommended to me. I only did it this last week though. I did dedicated one room of this house to them just last week. I started out just letting the girls out first for play time then to the boys. Now three days ago I wonder how they would do out together playing and it went wonderfully. I did keep them seperated at night when I wasn't in there with them until last night. I took all four of them out and let them play then put them all in the same cage last night. When I went in there this morning to check up on them it sure looks like they had a ball. Just wanted to let you all know. Thanks for all the advice I have gotten. It really helped.
Back to top Go down
Rchurch
Glider
Glider
Rchurch

Depresson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depresson   Depresson EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 11:38 am

Yay!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
viciousencounters
viciousencounters

Depresson Empty