Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to get real information about Sugar Gliders without the Sugar Coating.

HomeVisit our website!GallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inJoin us in Chat!

canned fruit

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SASSYS MOM
Face Hugger
Face Hugger
SASSYS MOM

canned fruit Empty
PostSubject: canned fruit   canned fruit EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 7:49 pm

so if i cant get ahold of fresh fruit can i give them can fruit usually in lite syrup but drain off the syrup maybe even rinse the fruit? How bad is sugar to them? Salt as well thanks
Back to top Go down
Countryncrafty
Countryncrafty

canned fruit Empty
PostSubject: Re: canned fruit   canned fruit EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 2:18 am

Canned anything is not good for them (too many preservatives).
Back to top Go down
http://cncglidersngoods.com/
SecretSquirrel
SecretSquirrel

canned fruit Empty
PostSubject: Re: canned fruit   canned fruit EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 3:41 am

If you can't get ahold of fresh fruit, it's generally accepted that you can use frozen fruit. I usually get the packages of frozen fruit that you use to make smoothies since it has a good variety all in one bag, it's not the smoothie powder mix, but a bag of fruit where you're supposed to add the other stuff to turn it into a smoothie. Most frozen should be fine.
Back to top Go down
SASSYS MOM
Face Hugger
Face Hugger
SASSYS MOM

canned fruit Empty
PostSubject: Re: canned fruit   canned fruit EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 10:51 pm

oh ok thats good i hate having fruit go bad before it is all eatten its to expensive i'll try the frozen.
Back to top Go down
SecretSquirrel
SecretSquirrel

canned fruit Empty
PostSubject: Re: canned fruit   canned fruit EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 11:06 pm

You can also freeze what you don't use right away out of the fresh fruit. Put it on wax paper on a cookie sheet and pop it in the freezer after you've cut it to the sizes you want, once it's frozen you can ziploc bag it and pull out what you need as you need it. canned fruit 2682118424
Back to top Go down
BrandyF
BrandyF

canned fruit Empty
PostSubject: Re: canned fruit   canned fruit EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:00 am

SecretSquirrel wrote:
You can also freeze what you don't use right away out of the fresh fruit. Put it on wax paper on a cookie sheet and pop it in the freezer after you've cut it to the sizes you want, once it's frozen you can ziploc bag it and pull out what you need as you need it. canned fruit 2682118424

I second this suggestion. What I do is go to the farmer's market once a month and buy all of my fruits and veggies. I then come home and wash everything and decide how much I want to keep fresh in the fridge and then freeze the rest. Even my kids prefer their blueberries frozen. The plus side to doing it this way is that I know exactly what was done to them to freeze them. You can also do the same thing if you buy fruit on sale at the grocery store. Just make sure to wash everything really well before you freeze. You can freeze it as is or you can mix up some fruit and veggie relishes to freeze. Just make sure to label everything really well so you know what it is after it's frozen.

I've never frozen apples chopped up so I don't know how those do, but they don't last long enough to go bad here. If you freeze peaches though you need to put a small amount of lemon juice on them so they don't turn brown.
Back to top Go down
http://brandyscreativeramblings.blogspot.com
Skyfire4me
Glider
Glider
Skyfire4me

canned fruit Empty
PostSubject: Re: canned fruit   canned fruit EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 4:59 pm

I freeze all my gliders fruits and veggies.

I grab them on sale and cut them to the size I want them, freeze and then bag them up. You can make your mixes ahead of time put then in the icecube trays and freeze them. Then pop them out and put them in bags. Makes for a quick and easy prep time each night.
Back to top Go down
BrandyF
BrandyF

canned fruit Empty
PostSubject: Re: canned fruit   canned fruit EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 6:57 pm

Skyfire4me wrote:
I freeze all my gliders fruits and veggies.

I grab them on sale and cut them to the size I want them, freeze and then bag them up. You can make your mixes ahead of time put then in the icecube trays and freeze them. Then pop them out and put them in bags. Makes for a quick and easy prep time each night.

Yep! It also cuts down on the cost since you can have some on hand in the event nothing is on sale that week.

I went to the farmer's market today and got butternut squash, strawberries, cantaloupe and watermelon for $1 each so I bought extra to freeze.
Back to top Go down
http://brandyscreativeramblings.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

canned fruit Empty
PostSubject: Re: canned fruit   canned fruit Empty

Back to top Go down

canned fruit
Page 1 of 1