Sugar Glider Addicts Anonymous - SGAA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to get real information about Sugar Gliders without the Sugar Coating.

HomeVisit our website!GallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inJoin us in Chat!

when is it safe to leave them alone?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SASSYS MOM
Face Hugger
Face Hugger
SASSYS MOM

when is it safe to leave them alone? Empty
PostSubject: when is it safe to leave them alone?   when is it safe to leave them alone? EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 1:02 am

Just wondering after they have got use to each other in their own cages and i do a intro (if it goes well) how doi know when it is safe to leave them alone and go shopping etc or leave them all day? I have also seen mention of them having arguments please explain this so I dont freak when it happens. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Skyfire4me
Glider
Glider
Skyfire4me

PostSubject: Re: when is it safe to leave them alone?   when is it safe to leave them alone? EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 1:49 am

ummm well it could take months to do intros. You need to do some research on intro before even trying it. I would also go get him fixed so he wont be to aggressive when the time comes. Only you can say for sure when they maybe ready.
For now work on bonding with him and get him to the vet for a check up and to be fixed.
Back to top Go down
SASSYS MOM
Face Hugger
Face Hugger
SASSYS MOM

PostSubject: Re: when is it safe to leave them alone?   when is it safe to leave them alone? EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 2:47 am

he is fixed he's 5 yrs old. im wondering if shes always been the only one if she dosent miss what shes never had (colony,cagemate) she may not want one? She gets ALL the treats,toys and time lol spoiled rotten I think...Smile
Back to top Go down
Skyfire4me
Glider
Glider
Skyfire4me

PostSubject: Re: when is it safe to leave them alone?   when is it safe to leave them alone? EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 3:10 am

No she will still need a cage mate. It will take time to do intros and do it safely. Read up on it so you know what to do. I can't advise on it since I have not done it yet.
Back to top Go down
JazzNZoeysmom
Glider
Glider
JazzNZoeysmom

PostSubject: Re: when is it safe to leave them alone?   when is it safe to leave them alone? EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 11:00 am

I do my intros in the morning so they are tired and only wanting to find a warm pouch to snuggle in. Once they are in the pouch I keep them on me all day...I either carry the pouch or tuck it into my shirt. They then go back to their own cages for the night. I do this for a good 2 days to make sure they are getting along. On the day I decide they are getting along just fine, I clean the entire cage they will share...Pressure wash the cage, wash ALL fleece & toys.... in the evening before they wake I tuck the pouch they are in into the cage so they can wake together in THEIR new cage.

The first night is usually a sleepless one. If you can have them in your room that first night, it'll be easier on you.

As far as arguements.... they all do it. You'll hear a psssttttt-ing noise or little squeaks....it's hard to explain unless you've heard it...but it's normal. They move/shift/step on eachother in the pouch as they try to get comfy...the one that is getting jostled around will pssstttt the other. You may even hear a little crabbing... at that I would kind of keep an eye on them to make sure it's just a little tussle and a fight isn't breaking out.

But odds are if they are getting along at intros and the daytime sleeping...you're gonna be just fine.
Back to top Go down
SecretSquirrel
SecretSquirrel

PostSubject: Re: when is it safe to leave them alone?   when is it safe to leave them alone? EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 5:52 pm

JazzNZoeysmom wrote:
I do my intros in the morning so they are tired and only wanting to find a warm pouch to snuggle in. Once they are in the pouch I keep them on me all day...I either carry the pouch or tuck it into my shirt. They then go back to their own cages for the night. I do this for a good 2 days to make sure they are getting along. On the day I decide they are getting along just fine, I clean the entire cage they will share...Pressure wash the cage, wash ALL fleece & toys.... in the evening before they wake I tuck the pouch they are in into the cage so they can wake together in THEIR new cage.

The first night is usually a sleepless one. If you can have them in your room that first night, it'll be easier on you.

As far as arguements.... they all do it. You'll hear a psssttttt-ing noise or little squeaks....it's hard to explain unless you've heard it...but it's normal. They move/shift/step on eachother in the pouch as they try to get comfy...the one that is getting jostled around will pssstttt the other. You may even hear a little crabbing... at that I would kind of keep an eye on them to make sure it's just a little tussle and a fight isn't breaking out.

But odds are if they are getting along at intros and the daytime sleeping...you're gonna be just fine.

You've got it covered- great answer! when is it safe to leave them alone? 2426413267
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: when is it safe to leave them alone?   when is it safe to leave them alone? Empty

Back to top Go down

when is it safe to leave them alone?
Page 1 of 1